Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1991 Honda Civic EX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am looking to find out the difference between the D16A6 found in the 4th Gen Si and EX models. I know that the Si version makes a few more horsepower but nothing more. However, I found a cam from a Si and would like to know if it could increase performance on an EX engine. Thank you for the help guys!

·
Banned
1991 Honda Civic EX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not trying to argue that you're wrong because yes, it's the same engine, but the Si had 108 HP and the EX had 105. I'm trying to find out if that could have come from the cam possibly. Could the cam profiles have been different?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,268 Posts
I'm not trying to argue that you're wrong because yes, it's the same engine, but the Si had 108 HP and the EX had 105. I'm trying to find out if that could have come from the cam possibly. Could the cam profiles have been different?
88 Si had 105, 89-91 had 108, from the 1/2 tooth cam timing change as the 88 used D15 indexing, see half tooth cam timing that I have about 10,000 posts.

Also see my sticky with cams that I have measured. My info was also shared with with a SCCA racer that also happens to write for Grassroots Magazine (GRM) on occassion, like tire tests. Even has his own wiki page :)

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/grm-vault-cruisin-usa/

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,268 Posts
If anything, the 3 hp difference is due to the power steering belt used...but the D15 numbers didn't change with belt or without.

·
Banned
1991 Honda Civic EX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Banned
1991 Honda Civic EX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Transzex thank you, that?s the kind of information I was looking for. I wanted to find out if it had to do with the cam because I found an Si cam on eBay. Glad to know that it wouldn?t have been any different from my stock one though.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Thanks for your incredibly non helpful, sarcastic remark. What you pasted doesn?t pertain to the question I?ve asked. That post was about two different Si models and differences in the engines. I?m asking about the engine in the EX vs the one found in the Si. If you can offer anything helpful that?d be great, rather than sarcasm.
Really, doesn't pertain to the question you asked?

Spinner said:
Hello all, I am looking to find out the difference between the D16A6 found in the 4th Gen Si and EX models.
from what slo linked said:
Hi all, i was jsut reading up on some honda engine specs, particularly at the D16A6. I noticed 2 different ones :

D16A6 1.6L 16V SOHC PGM-FI

'88-'91///Civic Si/CRX Si///USDM///1590cc's///[email protected]///[email protected]///9.1:1

D16A6 1.6L 16V SOHC PGM-FI

'89-'91///Civic EX///USDM///1590cc's///[email protected]///--------///--------
...and a couple replies down in that thread:

from what slo linked said:
no
they are both USDM models, so the motors are EXACTLY the same.

the 90-91 had a little different fuel curves than the 88-89 though. i believe fuel cut on 88-89 was 6800 and 90-91 was 7200.

i think your source for this info is off. factory ratings were 105hp for 88-89 and 108hp for the 90-91
You owe us an apology.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,052 Posts
Thanks for your incredibly non helpful, sarcastic remark. What you pasted doesn?t pertain to the question I?ve asked. That post was about two different Si models and differences in the engines. I?m asking about the engine in the EX vs the one found in the Si. If you can offer anything helpful that?d be great, rather than sarcasm.
lol, earn that red dot noob. I guess comprehension pwns you.

and this boys and girls, is why we shouldn't spoon feed. lead them to water, splash them in the face, and they still suck sand.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Boner knows what he’s talking about with the cams and helped me out with this many years back...actually posted a chart of the cam specs which I’m too lazy to look for right now.

The only OEM upgrade for the A6 is gonna be the non carb SOHZ ZC which has more lift than the A6 cam.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Thanks for your incredibly non helpful, sarcastic remark.
The issue here is that you asked the same thing in your other thread and then went to post a new thread about it. Not the end of the world or anything but these guys are OGs who have been around here answering the same questions and dealing with the same kinds of things over and over and over for many years.

Don’t get too offended and thicken up that skin a little. Some may come off as harsh at first but I promise you that the knowledge you’ll gain is worth putting up with it until people realize that you’re not a typical noob who’s gonna ask two questions and leave without contributing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts