Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running a small IHI turbo on a d15z1 in my 74 Civic with wagovan AWD for 20K miles. I get about 29 mpg mostly freeway. No intercooler. Stock ecu. I run 87 octane. Never pings that I can hear. No wideband. I run a pyrometer and see egt's of 1200 sometimes, with the probe right before the turbo. No catch can, I feed the pcv right into the air cleaner. It does use oil. I can't believe this setup works as well as it does. I'm running with code 48, o2 sensor. Proly need a new one.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Okay, but didn't see how the exhaust goes to the turbo, is it just the downpipe from the exhaust manifold go to the turbo? I like it :bigok:
And the U pipe that connects exhaust mani to turbo. Can't see it too well but you can kind of see the tranni there. Also, you can see the yellow gas flex line I used for oil drain from turbo.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
The intake ports on the z1 are so small that turbo is struggling to pump the air in

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
:( you win strangest honda I have ever seen on this form. In higher elevations you can get away with a little more boost with out freaking out the ecu to bad.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Why shouldn't it work? Small turbo, low boost, I see no reason why that wouldn't work on '87 octane without an IC.

Cool setup nonetheless.
No tune :pinch:

IDK, I think there was another guy in here a while ago running a turbo'd z1 without a tune and didnt blow up. It has a strange wideband sensor from the factory, maybe it uses it in WOT also, unlike the other motors? It would have been interesting if you put an aftermarket wideband on it and see what the AFR's look like in boost.

Anyway, I LOVE this car :bigok:

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
its throwing codes for the o2 sensor because the sensor is seeing massive ammounts of oxygen in the exhaust and thinks the o2 sensor is bad.

in reality your running insanely lean. tune for more fuel and you should be fine.

·
Formerly 95RedVXCivic
862 Posts
Gonna take a closer look at this thread when I get home!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm even running the stock VX 190 injectors. I agree it seems like it should be really lean but I don't see any evidence of that. Maybe if I took the head off I would. Then again, I haven't looked at the plugs for awhile. I have no provision whatsoever for adding fuel under boost. I have a 5th injector in the intake that I never hooked up. Was gonna run fuel or meth to it but never got around to it. I have one of those blox check valve thingies under the map sensor. Before that it would go into limp home mode every time I got into boost. Sometimes I run at 5 psi at 80 mph for 30 seconds or so at a time climbing the grades on highway 50 from Sacramento to Placerville. Every once in a while it will lose power when doing that and coolant temps will rise. Then it goes back to normal. This happens maybe one time in a hundred. It has also developed some valve train noise but it still pulls pretty hard. I did adjust the valves but the noise is still there. It doesn't smoke or anything. Sometimes I think it is about to grenade but it keeps going. I was hoping for 40mpg freeway with this setup but the best I ever got was 37 on one tank and most of the time around 28-29. The little guy weighs 2450lbs with its AWD. I think if I keep the car after this motor goes I'll go to a d16z6.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts