Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently picked up the greddy turbo kit that was for sale recently. The ad said that the turbo wouldn't have to be rebuilt but I'm not so sure.

Figured I'd try and sell this one last time, If it doesn't sell this time I'll just bolt it back on and enjoy some boost for a while. This is a complete kit ready to bolt on a EF/CRX. That's what the piping is made for. Could easily be used for other honda chassis as well. Trade wise I'm open to anything, just toss it out there. Located in South Point, OH 45680 Here is what we have:

Asking 650 shipped obo

Greddy 15g turbo kit
Greddy Manifold
Greddy 15g turbo (has the normal amount of shaft play, I'm picky I'd rebuild, but you dont have to at all.)
Greddy downpipe elbow
Rare Greddy heat shield.
Small piece of the original downpipe.
FastTurbo.com oil feed line
All aluminum piping with clamps/couplers.
Greddy Type S bov
DSM 450's
Decent sized JDM Sport IC. Fits the opening of a crx bumper perfectly

Here is a link to the original ad: http://www.d-series.org/forums/sale/149664-fs-ft-greddy-d-series-turbo-kit-more.html

I didn't notice the messed up fins until after I got the turbo out into some good light.

Click the image for a bigger picture.

I just wanted some input from you guys who know better.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hit up Mhambrick on here. I may be mis-spelling his name. He rebuilds turbos and has pretty good rates.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
after the wheel is replaced the assembly will need to be re-balanced

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow mos def needs a new wheel .............or something, u didnt notice that damage before u bought it???????????????????????????
Well I only skimmed over the photos and it is kind of hard to see anything but that dog eared fin in the original ad's photo of it which I can still barely see even though I know what to look for.

Idk you gonna need a new wheel and probably a rebuild. In parts its gons like 200-250..
after the wheel is replaced the assembly will need to be re-balanced
Which is quite annoying to have to shell out another $200 when I was promised a turbo that did not need rebuilding "at all" that was ready to run :dots:

Hit up Mhambrick on here. I may be mis-spelling his name. He rebuilds turbos and has pretty good rates.
Can you find his actual username for me? Can he do the balancing and all that?

I had my friend who the kit was for take a video of the shaft play:

Is this the "normal" amount of shaft play?

·
Registered
414 Posts
holy shit no!!! that turbo is effed up bad..... you can see where the wheel was contacting the turbine housing... I think its a paperweight, by the time you buy all the new parts and a new housing and everything youd probably have spend more than a new one, or at least a new-ish used one

I would contact that seller, that turbo is junk. I wouldnt pay a dime for it

·
Registered
3 Posts
holy shit no!!! that you can see where the wheel was contacting the turbine housing... I think its a paperweight.
+100 on this, even if you did replace the turbine, the compressor housing and exhaust housing are scored, the material missing will cause a gap making the turbo far less efficient.

Beside that the shaft is probably damaged too, JUNK and not rebuild able.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
holy shit no!!! that turbo is effed up bad..... you can see where the wheel was contacting the turbine housing... I think its a paperweight, by the time you buy all the new parts and a new housing and everything youd probably have spend more than a new one, or at least a new-ish used one

+100 on this, even if you did replace the turbine, the compressor housing and exhaust housing are scored, the material missing will cause a gap making the turbo far less efficient.

Beside that the shaft is probably damaged too, JUNK and not rebuild able.
Are you serious :uh:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Holy crap, that's a lot worse than I though. Lemon. That's some serious :bs:

I know you got it on here. I would take it up with the seller. That turbo is fuuuuuuuucked.

If you can get a new wheel and shaft for it don't want to do the rebuild on it, I can. New wheel and shaft is probably 150-200, plus rebuild kit ~50. And that's if the housings aren't damaged beyond use.

The company that I used to clean/balance my rotating bits and that I got a new shaft from was usedturbos.net Great customer service. You ship them your old stuff, wheel/shaft and they send it back with balancing marks so that you can reassemble it. Or in your case they can sell you new ones and balance them for you.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
idk if he's back on the forums or not yet... he was locked out for a little bit. idk if the mods let him back on or not yet...

anyway, that turbo is done. you're better off finding a different turbo with better condition fins and WAY less shaft play.

even if mhamrick could rebuild it, he would need to get a new wheel and shaft. that one is done.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sent him a PM (by the way the turbo kit was for my friend who paid for it, he just doesn't have a D-Series account or 65 posts so I acted as the middle man the seller knows this):

"The turbo you have sold my friend and I is by no means as described in your ad.

I was not too sure at first but I decided to ask d-series for help:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/151284-should-i-rebuild-turbo.html

So the opinions range from rebuildable for $200+ to it's completely trashed and my friend and I will need to buy another turbo. Nevertheless it is clear this is not a good usable turbo by any means that "doesn't have to be rebuilt at all."

So I kindly ask if you could refund my friend and I the cost to rebuild the turbo or if we have to get another turbo the cost of that turbo."

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
EDIT: After watching your vid man iono wtf is up. I'll gladly refund you the cash. When i pulled the kit a few months back the shaftplay was not like that. Its been sitting in the garage so iono whats up. You haven't had it long enough to run it so I'm not trying to put it on you at all. Just hit me up in the PM's and we'll get it taken care of man.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well there is no "lemon" The turbo was like that when I bought it, it boosts fine and causes no issues AT ALL. I ran this kit since the day I bought it (which was on here) with absolutly no problems at all. Shaft play is normal like I said, the fins being like that cause no issues. If you want a refund then by all means i'll give you refund.
are you serious?? ...... I dont even want to know how you were getting boost on that thing.... what did you start to build boost at 6k rpms?!!?

your entitled to you opinions on it, but you CANNOT say that the shaft play is normal.

Do you really think a turbo is supposed to make a horrendous grinding noise when you spin it by hand?

No

I see that you offered him a refund, and that settles everything.. but i just got mad you think everyone who posted on this thread has no idea what their talking about...

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
A fucked up compressor wheel isn't something you just leave out of a For Sale ad. It doesn't matter if it was like that when you bought it, it still needs to be out in the open when you sell. IMHO the ad was dishonest and misleading, borderline scam.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts