Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
The more I look at it, the more I see lots of things that show wear and tear.

Gears with grooves, forks with edges messed up, and pitting that should not be present.

Also, that magent at first glance looks average. But it actually has a TON of debris stuck to it.

Much more than what my 300k mile accord's tranny magnet had.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
now obviously the shift fork is worn no doubt.. i believe it is probably still usable unlike the one from my Y7

Junk everything but the case, rust.
there is absolutely NO rust on anything. what you're seeing in the pictures is dirty oil. the only reason i wanted this trans was for the low final drive. and as you say.. the case is good to have too

unfortunately whoever owned this before me was putting gear oil in it. was smellin up my whole garage for the first few days

here's the full-size image to get better look: https://i.imgur.com/UriJxM3.jpg

The more I look at it, the more I see lots of things that show wear and tear.

Gears with grooves, forks with edges messed up, and pitting that should not be present.

Also, that magent at first glance looks average. But it actually has a TON of debris stuck to it.

Much more than what my 300k mile accord's tranny magnet had.
would you mind taking my picture and circling or point to areas you're talking about?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
look on the tops of the gear teeth, especially on the left side of your images.

magnet APPEARS to be dealing with a lot of garbage.

If this transmission saw gear oil and ever saw a cold climate or at least below 30*F ambient several times, that is enough time to do some damage from lack of lubrication flow.

You can quite easily see the end of the shift fork showing a NONE squared edge. It is grooved where someone has been hitting the gears, or simply pushing into gear prior to the clutch fully engaging/disengaging during shifts

Again, I am VERY inexperienced in this.

Between bone and aqua, they are the transmission masters. If they say its a turd in a punch bowl, then it is.

Gives you a chance to dig through it and learn about it though. I dont have that option currently.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
yeah this is definitely for me to learn. so i appreciate it if people explain what theyre thinking and looking for when inspecting rather than just saying it is junk

·
Registered
977 Posts
The thing is the 2 guys saying its junk know more about the trans in these cars than most of us know about the rest of the car combined.

So what is obvious to them at first glance as junk or ruined parts isn't as obvious to others.

I hope one or both of them chime back in to let us know what they are seeing and what we need to look for to help identify the issues they have found.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,228 Posts
The thing is the 2 guys saying its junk know more about the trans in these cars than most of us know about the rest of the car combined.

So what is obvious to them at first glance as junk or ruined parts isn't as obvious to others.

I hope one or both of them chime back in to let us know what they are seeing and what we need to look for to help identify the issues they have found.
See part, see they are worn beyond OEM limit by a HUGE margin. Know the parts are limited or gonne from Honda warehouses, but I have a source left.

PS: I'm 2000 miles from home in Arizona right now. It;s Taco Tuesday!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts