Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Just wondering if I should modified my cylinder head, for example, street port and polish, maybe a camshaft.. ectl OR should I just use send it to the machine shop and have it check the sits, just a brush, I don't want them to cut them to much, just enougth to assure a proper sealling.
My goal is 300 hp, Now everything else is taking care off, Im just concern about the head since I heard of people making incredible hp, with a stock head. I Just want to have my car finish and ready for tunning and testing, just to have a starting point then work my way up.
Should I do that insted? I just don't want to spend a lot of money on the head at least not right now.

So what should I do guys? I have a edelbrock manifold that Im gonna be using, and I also have a gsr throttle body, but my concern is the head for now.
Has anyone have good success with a stock cylinder head, D16Z6?
I have the money to have it modified, but I also need a few things to finish my car, thats why I don't feel like spending all the money on the head.
Please guys, what you think. I just want to build my engine already.
thanks!!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have decide not to go all the way on the head, at least not right now. I want to have a starting point with my engine using a stock head.
So what should I do about my head, besides the obvious cleaning, what else? Im planning on sending it to the machine shop today or tomorow so that I can have it by the end of next week. So comon guys what should I tell the shop to do to my d16z6 cylinder head.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
If you are going for 300 fwhp, you would probably be good to have it ported.
Most shops I would imagine would do porting, valve job, mill, new seals for less than $1000.

I ported my own head and had a valve job and mill for $60 then spent $30 on valve stem seals, so theortically you could do it for cheap.

What is the rest of combo? I would imagine its turbo if you are going for 300, in which case you would probably be better off just spending the money to finish the project.

I don't know about the vtec heads, but my PM9 head flowed 190 cfm intake and 122 cfm exhaust @ .500" stock with 15+ years of carbon build-up. The intake is very well cast.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
Hi guys, Just wondering if I should modified my cylinder head, for example, street port and polish, maybe a camshaft.. ectl OR should I just use send it to the machine shop and have it check the sits, just a brush, I don't want them to cut them to much, just enougth to assure a proper sealling.
My goal is 300 hp, Now everything else is taking care off, Im just concern about the head since I heard of people making incredible hp, with a stock head. I Just want to have my car finish and ready for tunning and testing, just to have a starting point then work my way up.
Should I do that insted? I just don't want to spend a lot of money on the head at least not right now.

So what should I do guys? I have a edelbrock manifold that Im gonna be using, and I also have a gsr throttle body, but my concern is the head for now.
Has anyone have good success with a stock cylinder head, D16Z6?
I have the money to have it modified, but I also need a few things to finish my car, thats why I don't feel like spending all the money on the head.
Please guys, what you think. I just want to build my engine already.
thanks!!
leave it stock.....there are plenty of people making 400+whp on the stock head. I myself am doing a 300whp turbo build as of right now. check out the link in my sig for more details.

I decided to keep my head stock by the means of porting it and polishing it. BUT i did get a valve job and supertech springs and retainers. If you are going to do anything to you head, do new valve stem seals, and if you have another $150 laying around, i reccommend a valve job to give everything a fresh new seal and surface.

i hope this helps

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you guys for the replies. I will modified my cylinder head but not right now, Like I mention before i want to haave a starting point and work from there. Also I need a few things to complete my project so I rather have my car up and running and then later on modified my head. Im looking to have my head check for cracks, make sure that it is flat and not warp, check that each of the valves sits perfect, and that there ar new seals on the valves. Speaking about seals, I have a full gasket set that came with everything, I belived I have valve stem seals in my full gasket set so I can install them my self. Anything else that I should do to my head besides what I just mention?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts