Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a old D15B2 delta regrind in a Z6 block B7 head combo with the cam in the advance position. It has a Chinese T3/T4 @ 15psi, B7 intake manifold, Si tranny, no bov, Cast ex manifold, tuned on BRE on E85. Finally hit 12s on drag radials with the stock block. The question I'm debating now is if there's more room for improvement in the cam side if things. Been trying to find a A6 cam online with no luck and from what I read the Y7/Y8 can gear should correct the cam timing. I'm wondering if I should just leave the set up as is or try to correct the cam timing situation. Here's the dyno graph at 12 psi to show how the curve is. And the time slip with car weighing in at 2105 pounds. Also wanted to throw in that removing the sway bar reduced wheel hop and allowed me launch more aggressively. Still on stock suspension so it might not have as much effect on a stiffer set up.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It's over 4* advanced, which is known to kill mid/high-rpm power vs neutral or slightly retarded. If anything, it may allow making more power with less boost. The turbo could be more responsive, have to spool up less, and put less stress on the motor to go just as fast down the track.

The Y7/Y8 cam should do the trick. I wouldn't be surprised if your breakup seen above 6200 rpm goes away, and torque carries further for a better top end.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I'm more interested in what timing belt/water pump you used for the motor combo. I've wanted to put that exact combo together for a long while.

Btw, that's an impressive et. I know your cat is pretty light but it's impressive all the same.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
Full interior, with a sub and amp in the back. Only a small JL 10" tho. Actually thinking about it, I remember this was trying to his 12's on 6psi, I think I had the rear seats pulled out and the sub out. Car is usually about 2000lbs without me in it.

Only thing missing is the front re-bar for intercooler purposes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I should go ahead and give a y8 cam gear a try huh. The delta cam I'm not sure what grind it is its been sitting on my shelf for over ten years. The breakup was actually a distributor problem but it would be nice to see the torque not drop off so steep. I'm trying to keep the car on drag radials for now. It's kind of a different challenge. what kind of suspension set up do you have farmer ? The water pump is z6 and timing belt is for a B7.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
If you can pull the motor, I would try using a degree wheel to get your mechanical timing in order.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
Print one off, paste it to some 1/8" steel or aluminum sheet, drill a hole in the center, done dirty cheap.

I would retard the timing a couple of degreees to shift your peak a bit higher, but this depends on your transmission and driving style more than anything. I like where it is for a DD.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thets really crafty. Car isn't a real DD I usually just drive it around the neighborhood to run errands every other day or so to keep it from sitting too long. It's a SI tranny with the redline @ 7200. The car doesn't seem as responsive as it should be. That's why I was looking for a A6 cam to compare. I Figured with the power shifted down so low it would spin the tires from a 60 punch but it's pretty uneventful. Even on regular tires.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Installed the cam gear in the advance position and set it to -5. Drivability around town is pretty much the same. Times at the track is mostly the same but the characteristics of the car is totally different. It just kind of rips to 7200 rpm now and causes a lot more wheelspin. Before the power drop off kind of kept the car in check when the tires spun to the higher rpms. Im pretty satisfied and dont feel urge need to explore camshaft options yet. Picked up a z6 intake manifold and b16 throttle body, hopefully that will get me in the 90mph range in the 1/8th mile.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts