Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Ex
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My brother is selling one, offered it to me for $1,000. Idk if I should take it or not, cuz im kinda working on my 00 ex coupe. Just I/H/E on it now but i wanna do a cam and rebuild the spare y7 bottom end y8 head i have and throw it in my coupe, or just work around it.

Its got 330k miles, new clutch, dents, grey spray paint, needs new tires. Leaks a little bit of oil, just passed inspection. Speedo dont work or the back light, 38-40 mpg. I think he told me 2 years ago that its got the si tranny in it. Just passed inspection in Dallas too.
Should I buy it and drive it while i tear apart mine or no? Im transfering to a closer store that i work at in 2 weeks, so i could actually walk to work in 10 minutes, so i really woudn't need a spare car to get around. Never rebuild a engine before. Want to go EMUSA turbo d but don't think i can afford it or tune.

Mines got 170K, ran low on oil and found some shavings on the drain plug so its got me all into rebuilding it. Don't make alot of money, barely saving a little at the end of the month after cigs and beer, girl left me a couple months ago blah blah blah. All i got is car, time, tools full time job, apartment, bills and D-Series!
What do you all think?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Hmm...

Id buy it for 1k and just fix the little bullshit that needed. Then flip it to some kid who thinks its a racecar for 2500 and use that cash for your boost build.

Drive it till u sell it.

I just look at it like an opportunity to fund your build. Or sell off both and buy the new CTR thats headed your way.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Ex
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmm...

Id buy it for 1k and just fix the little bullshit that needed. Then flip it to some kid who thinks its a racecar for 2500 and use that cash for your boost build.

Drive it till u sell it.

I just look at it like an opportunity to fund your build. Or sell off both and buy the new CTR thats headed your way.
The speedo could just be a fuze, mine went out a couple weeks ago cuz one of the secondary 02 sensor wire was showing and probably to close to the heat shield. Its 23 years old, so who knows what else can go wrong with it or has been fixed, I know he had a new radiator a couple years ago. If the paint and body was better i would probably buy it, but driving that thing as is would kinda be depressing lol. I love my coupe, dont get me wrong, but i always wanted a eg hatch untill i bought my ek, she's just grown on me, and I've put alot of time and some money in here.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/244841-my-slow-d16y8-coupe-build.html

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
yea.. but just like you, someone else likes hatches too.

so fix the small shit and sell it.. this is the time too. Its tax season! ask 2500obo and take 2k for it

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
If it's completely stock d15z1 sell it to someone who will use it for fuel mileage not some dumbass kid. Or shit I'll trade you my eg8 for it.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Ex
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yea.. but just like you, someone else likes hatches too.

so fix the small shit and sell it.. this is the time too. Its tax season! ask 2500obo and take 2k for it
Hmm, yeah, I could just baby it and tear apart my coupe and go all motor and tune it myself, without really having to worry about being stuck without a car, just an extra car insurance (currently pay $75 a month) or say f it and sell the Intake and headers and turbo the damn thing, ebay style. No emissions here in San Antonio, luckly. Still flip flopping on the 2 you know. Prob stay all motor cuz im cheap.

Ugh, I don't wanna dip into the little savings I have for this. But I could be getting a deal.....

If it's completely stock d15z1 sell it to someone who will use it for fuel mileage not some dumbass kid. Or shit I'll trade you my eg8 for it.
It's bone stock, I got on it a little 3 years ago when he let me drive it and told me to slow down lol. No A/C or heater, core went out i think he said.
He also said the shells go for $650. And on the east coast the VX go for 4-5 grand even with some rust... Dunno about that, but i see them on CL for 2-4 but in better condition. He wants to put it up on CL for $1,900.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Ex
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's worth it if it's intact. Do you know much about the vx models?
Only that they have Vtec-e(whatever that is), d15z1, 92 bhp or something like that, light as hell, vtec is hooked up already in all 92 models. And thats about it. Thought about putting in a Y7/Y8 in there, but dunno if thats a good choice or not, I got the block... But idk about mounts and that other stuff, not really good with electrical. Its got lightweight 13 rims, no rear speakers? Under body panels, no passenger mirror? Bare bones. 500lbs lighter than my coupe... Not looking for a drag racer, just a fun sporty dd. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Do it! It is invaluable having a second vehicle when your primary is down due to upgrades and such. I enjoyed having two Civics at the same time; was quite handy to have a coupe and a hatch.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
he could sell that for $2k here in the northeast any day of the week... hatches pull a crazy premium here

1 - 12 of 12 Posts