Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i need some help on this

well i am doing a turbo build with my a6 block i got the low comp/bigger piston and i honed and bored my engine block out.

now the guy at the shop is telling me that i should get my engine balance. but a lot of my boys told he that u dont have to balance honda engines like they dont need to be.

SO WHAT DO U GUYS THINK?????

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
i am, when i get my block tore down and take it to get it hot tanked. i'll have my heads, (i have more than one d-head) to be hot tank end check for stress cracks and shit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
was there anything wrong with the block when you took it apart?

if it was in good running condition before you tore it down then i dont REALLY see the need to balance it if your just putting in new rods and pistons with a quick "freshen up" of the block.

sounds like another expense you dont really need. :TU:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
you said you are gettin bigger pistons... how much did you bore the motor out? The sleeves tend to NOT like that on a turbo build...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the moter was like brand new i had 76k on it and i bored it out to 75.5mm so i only went .20

but i do have to get the block under cut so the pistons will spin freely but still i wouldnt have to right?

·
Registered
52 Posts
the moter was like brand new i had 76k on it and i bored it out to 75.5mm so i only went .20
you will be fine without a balance.

but i do have to get the block under cut so the pistons will spin freely but still i wouldnt have to right?

:confused: :confused: ......WTF did you say??!?!?

are you talking about getting the block NOTCHED for the RODS to clear????!?:confused:

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts

you mean so the rods will spin freely?

If you say that the motor was in good shape, then i wouldnt worry about it too much. You may need to get your crank micropolished or something.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
was there anything wrong with the block when you took it apart?

if it was in good running condition before you tore it down then i dont REALLY see the need to balance it if your just putting in new rods and pistons with a quick "freshen up" of the block.

sounds like another expense you dont really need. :TU:
here's a couple of jewels for you.

Hello. The parts that move up, down and rotate are balanced. Pistons and rods are balanced by making them all weigh the same. The rotating parts are balanced by making all sides weight the same so one side is not heavier than the other.

now Honda crank; you will find it better balanced and more accurate than most machine shop balancing machines can accurately balance.

It is good to balance your engine in general when blueprinting it but this is a completely different matter than balancing the crank.

now i'm buying aftermarket P29 pistons w/wrist pins and shit. i want to make sure that they are well balance per sae and i'm not trying to do anything more than is needed. but if i'm going to spend a shit load of money on my motor i want to make sure that the fucker doesn't vibrate what so fucking ever. and everything is some what close to perfect.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah srry about that, that what i ment get the block notched so the rods will spin freely.

and i got the crank touched up to so that all set.

and thanx alot guys bec this is saveing me money and i need that money right now lol

+ rep you u guys

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
when ever you change pistons, rods, or a cranks it is a good idea to have them balanced. not all of them will way the same so this way when you do put it together they will and one less thing to worry about. how much is the balancing might i ask?

·
Registered
52 Posts
here's a couple of jewels for you.

Hello. The parts that move up, down and rotate are balanced. Pistons and rods are balanced by making them all weigh the same. The rotating parts are balanced by making all sides weight the same so one side is not heavier than the other.

now Honda crank; you will find it better balanced and more accurate than most machine shop balancing machines can accurately balance.
thanks for your "jewels"

hello........... i know.

but he stated that the engine had 76k on it when it was disassembled and was in fine working condition. if you are going to the extent of having you block blueprinted then obviously it will also be balanced. i.e the term "balanced and blueprinted".

if your building a 400+ streetwhore monster, then yes, i agree.

but for the most part its USUALLY not necessary in this type of "mild" build.

and if you buy QUALITY parts, they are all balanced from factory. (eagle,pauter,wiseco, je...etc..)

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
now on those notions i will say yes too. then again you can be anal as myself and just do it, just for GP.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
it is probably not required, but if i was replacing any part of the rotating assembly, i would want to get it balanced just for piece of mind. the rotating assembly is balanced from the factory, but you are changing part of that out so it is different now.

ryan

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
it is probably not required, but if i was replacing any part of the rotating assembly, i would want to get it balanced just for piece of mind. the rotating assembly is balanced from the factory, but you are changing part of that out so it is different now.

ryan
i couldn't even say it better than that. that the same reason i'm doing it for a piece of mind. :TU:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts