Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend has a type r integer motor in his car with a gar transmission. His gear shifts are so straightforward, smooth, short, and precise. I have a d16y8 and of course they don't compare. I was just wondering what are the best short shifters out there. He told me to get a skunk2 short shifter and energy bushings. What would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
So my friend has a type r integer motor in his car with a gar transmission. His gear shifts are so straightforward, smooth, short, and precise. I have a d16y8 and of course they don't compare. I was just wondering what are the best short shifters out there. He told me to get a skunk2 short shifter and energy bushings. What would you guys recommend?
Why is that of course? I can tap my S40 (y8 ) tranny in with one finger, with no clutch! Stock Shifter, stock bushings, 170k miles

Why are you telling us what he told you? JW. If you think about it.. You're asking for our opinion, so his is irrelevant, apparently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh i didn't mean to offend or anything. maybe i should have stated that he had upgrades to his transmission that made it so short, smooth, and crisp. i just wanted a better feeling transmission fee.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The shifter/transmission is not to blame for your transmission feeling worse than his. Your shifter bushings are probably worn out.

The best feeling shift Ive felt in a Honda has been a D transmission not a B.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Do you want to decrease throw or are you wanting to decrease "shift time" thus shortening the time you leave you hands off the wheel?

Cause there's a massive difference.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
996 Posts
What is a "gar transmission" can you please post up some pictures of this thing?

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
996 Posts
The gears are made with teeth pulled from a Gar...

See this is what I thought he may have been talking about but I wasn't completely sure so it's a alligator gar transmission what car did the said trans come from? I ask because I would like to go take one for a test drive and see if it as the same kind of bite as the animal it was made from! :cool2:

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
996 Posts
I think I got this figured out it's the transmission out of a old barracuda???

·
Premium Member
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
ITR/B16 gears or a close gear set will help more than a shot shifter. Less RPM drop = easier engagement and longer synchro life. If you don't shift like a grandma the shifts will be almost seamless.

·
Premium Member
89 CRX Si
1,041 Posts
B&M shifter plus poly bushings plus no-slop shifter linkage = nice, crisp, solid feeling shifter.

My only issue is a slight buzzing in 4th because of shifter/exhaust clearance issues (to be fixed with a BFH shortly).

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
No need. MFactory close gear set in a D is shorter than a B16 trans except for 2nd.
one of these days i hope to try out the combo. maybe with an HF final or 4 speed final drive? would be crazy... 1st would be a monster. haha

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
screw a short shifter. extend the shaft, put a slightly heavier knob, toss in fresh bushings, and see about changing your transmission fluid 2 or 3 times, each seperated by a few hundred miles, to really get the old crap out.

I never was able to tell which was smoother, a D or a B tranny. both are old as fuck, and both fall into that huge range of 1-shitass teenager racer ****** to 10-perfectly maintained.

unlikely to find a 8-9-10 these days

·
Premium Member
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
one of these days i hope to try out the combo. maybe with an HF final or 4 speed final drive? would be crazy... 1st would be a monster. haha
I've run both the 4.25 and 4.058. I like the 4.058 better as I don't top out as quickly on the back straight at VIR as I do with the 4.25. Pretty sure I'm going to give the 3.722 a try in the near future.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts