Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've just got round to putting my engine back in and I've hooked up my ebay short shifter and when I go to go into 1st the shift linkage is hitting the support bar (the other bar on the linkage that does not move and is bolted to the transmission).

The car is still on axle stands could this be the problem? Anyone else had this issue and is there a problem with me bending the other bar out of the way a bit? Maybe twisting the mounting point on the transmission?

I do not remember it hitting before but I did only do about 2 miles with the short shifter before removing the engine.

Thanks for any help in advance

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
You dont need a short shifter, i causes more problems than theyre worth.

Your first issue is clearance.. Usually they hit the exhaust on top of your issue..

But dont take my word for it.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
not to mention, the ball bearing bushing tends to fucking bind and its a pain in the ass

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
And the kids like to jam it into gear which grind syncs, bend forks, and cause mis-shifts..

worst mod ever!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, it does sound like more hassle than its worth, I think I will just replace the bushes in my OEM shifter and put that back on if I can get hold of them.

I have loads of clearance from the exhaust though.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
I hope all the reply's with ebay shifters are from experience and not what my best friends brothers mom told me. I have never had a clearance or binding issue.

However, there is absolutely nothing worse then being on the track making one of your best laps and having that mother fucker snap off in your hand due to shitty material. Then have a sharp ass metal bar to make it to the pits with. The video footage is great.

If your going to be banging gears with it don't use it. If your going to drive like a normal Joe Blow it probably wont ever be a problem.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
I hope all the reply's with ebay shifters are from experience and not what my best friends brothers mom told me. I have never had a clearance or binding issue.

However, there is absolutely nothing worse then being on the track making one of your best laps and having that mother fucker snap off in your hand due to shitty material. Then have a sharp ass metal bar to make it to the pits with. The video footage is great.

If your going to be banging gears with it don't use it. If your going to drive like a normal Joe Blow it probably wont ever be a problem.
Ive had both issues. the first was it binding and being a bit of a bitch going into gear. the other was the threads breaking off in the knob.

went and got an integra dual bend and cut it down, then threw the oem civic bushing in. best mod ever

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Ive had both issues. the first was it binding and being a bit of a bitch going into gear. the other was the threads breaking off in the knob.

went and got an integra dual bend and cut it down, then threw the oem civic bushing in. best mod ever
That's where mine broke also. Had half a thread sticking up. I bought the dual bend as well.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
Thanks everyone, it does sound like more hassle than its worth, I think I will just replace the bushes in my OEM shifter and put that back on if I can get hold of them.

I have loads of clearance from the exhaust though.
NAPA sells a kit to rebuild OEM shifter, was $16....now I just need to find my original OEM shifter and gets this B&M back out.

The reason for the B&M was shift rattle due to HASport mounts and a worn "cage" for the shifter ball.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Never had a problem with short shifters, the bearings in the bottom are great. eBay ones are less than $10

Solid aluminum BWR rear mount, ES front mount, new U joint + billet tq mounts is great.

Extenders make any slop worse

Its not more hassle than its worth, unless youre inept

·
Registered
46 Posts
That was the first thing I replaced in my DX when I bought it; the crappy stock shifter. Tossed in the finest $7.49 short throw shifter from E-bay I could find. My cheap ass didn't wanna pay for expedited shipping either, eff that! Actually it was so much better than the stock shift throw. I never actually measured but I'd say it cut it down about 25-30%.
No binding, no hitting exhaust, no troubles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So at the weekend as I was under the car anyway I put the stock shifter on to see if that would stop it hitting the support bar but no luck, so I've clearly bent something.

It hits in the middle of the two bars between the gearstick and the gearbox when trying to push it over for 1st or 2nd.

I reckon I need to bend the support bar out the way by only 1cm maybe 2. Just a shame its hard to get to with my car back on the ground.

I'm not really sure what the bar that goes from gearbox to the shifter mount is for, I've seen it called a support bar I think somewhere but I'm not sure what it is actually supporting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts