Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK! I am kind of changing my mind and thinking about putting another engine in. I have an EG8 D15B VTEC which has been over heated twice and can not be shaved anymore. The mechanic says it is ok now and can be used but I don’t trust him since he has screwed up twice already. Anyway I am going to a new shop also! My engine was good before overheating, only had worked for 120,000 km and sounded very nice and smooth no oil burning, what so ever.

You can read about it all here:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54704

Today I called one scrap shop and found out that if I want to get only the engine it is not going to be that expensive after all. But he said that the engine is from 1996! I told him I want for EG8 he said it is the same!!!! Did they build this engine after 95 also? I can differentiate 92-95 D15B VTEC with 96-00 D15B 3stage VTEC since it has 2 VTEC solenoid. But I don’t know what are the differences between my engine and 96-00 D15B Hyper-VTEC since this one also has the same VTEC valve cover but 30whp less than mine and I don’t want to end up buying one of them and I think it is not going to even work with my ECU also. I searched but I couldn’t find anything.

Ok, so when I go to junk yard how should I say that which engine is good? How can I say which one has lower mileage? Should I open the head there and have a look inside? How can I make sure that I am not buying a beat up engine worse than my current one? :confused:

After buying the engine, for rebuilding it, what stuff do I have to change? What procedures rebuilding has? What parts I can use from my current engine? I just want to make sure it is not going to let me down. If anything is broken inside and the part in my current engine is in better condition can I reuse mine?

I am kind of afraid of buying a second hand engine. I don’t know what I would get. Sorry for asking many questions I really want to make this car working fine again.

Please help me out with your experiences and suggestions.

Thanks.:D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
or u could just pull that motor u have already and just rebuild it..
Ok, Tomorrow I am going to the shop and I will take some photos from the head and block after shaving so you can see how the condition is right now and if the mating surfaces are smooth enough for building again.

I will try to take them somewhere that I can test them for crack, scratch or warp also and to get some measurements of my stuff after shaving. I think that way you can help me better decide to build on my current engine or go for a new. What else do I need to do to make sure current engine has no critical issue?

anyway this shop told me he is going to give me 1 year warranty that his built wont have any problem or he will buy me a new engine.

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
The warranty is key. A good salvage yar will offer a warranty. Sometimes they charge more for a longer warranty.
If you're not comfortable w/ a used engine & youe shop will warrany a rebuild for 12/12, go w/ the rebuild.

·
Registered
1998 Honda Civic LX
327 Posts
well, if you are going to rebuild the junkyard motor anyway....it really shouldnt matter, as long as the engine itself isnt in bad condition.

check the speedo inside the car, check out the kind of damage it sustained. if its a front end crash...make sure to check out by the header, all those area's n whatn0t.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, if you are going to rebuild the junkyard motor anyway....it really shouldnt matter, as long as the engine itself isnt in bad condition.

check the speedo inside the car, check out the kind of damage it sustained. if its a front end crash...make sure to check out by the header, all those area's n whatn0t.
It is not a half cut, it is only the engine with no tranny, intake or exhuast! if i want to take the half cut it is much more expensive and i dont need anything but engine. i know half cut is safer but i really dont have that much money right now.

for rebuiding the engine which internal parts have to be changed?

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
yea dont shop at any in my area! one has been shut down for taking cars w/o titles and he had over 2000

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took some photos from block and head mating surfaces for you to see and let me know if you see anything wrong in it. Are all of those scratches fine? Wont they pass oil, water or gas and blow head gasket again? They have tested them also and there is no crack in them. They said they are going to polish again just before they put the head on!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

What do you think? Is this engine safe to use? I just want to hear ideas.

How the performance of my car will be after this much shaving?
Do I need to change the connection rod?

How can I clean the rust in water jacket?

Thanks. :p

·
Registered
721 Posts
as long as nothin is scored TOO TOO bad, then use the bitch...I'd just rebuild it...hone it, put new rings in it, shave the head JUST enough to square it back up again...while the heads off you could always do the gasket matching!! there is always benefits to a rebuild...if you're worried about head clearance, I thought I heard of 'stackable' gaskets...can't be sure, but I think that you can raise your head up more if needed...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts