Honda D Series Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Needs ported, the lower manifold points the injectors into an actual corner, HUGE torque and fuel mileage upgrade, but you need to upgrade rod bolts or pistons smack into heads.
Assuming you're talking about the 3sgte engine? Sounds like you have experience with them.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,394 Posts
With the 22re(c&t) and the 3stge as well, they were all carbed engines initially that Toyota decided to slap fuel injection on, they didnt bother to update head castings on either engine, so injectors pointed right into the mating surface of the head. Not being in CA yours might still be carby?
I've done a few of each, not many around here will drop that kind of money on a Toyota though, so only a few. but every time I didnt force them to upgrade at least the rod bolts bad things happened, usually within the first few weeks.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
With the 22re(c&t) and the 3stge as well, they were all carbed engines initially that Toyota decided to slap fuel injection on, they didnt bother to update head castings on either engine, so injectors pointed right into the mating surface of the head. Not being in CA yours might still be carby?
I've done a few of each, not many around here will drop that kind of money on a Toyota though, so only a few. but every time I didnt force them to upgrade at least the rod bolts bad things happened, usually within the first few weeks.
It's a 94, so its the EFI 22RE.

Reactions: Oldcivicjoe

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,352 Posts
I remember that one, as bad as gms 2.8 with the awful main oiling issues.
Hey now, which GM 2.8L lol.

I rebuilt the one in my S10 (gen 1 2.8 60 degree V6 with TBI) about 5 years ago and its still going strong. Its literally my most reliable beater haha.

Its even been to Canada a couple times! Here's the cottage trip me and my son did right before Covid lol (my family has a place on a lake about 3 hours north of Toronto middle of nowhere, rotary phone FTW):

Plant Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

Water Sky Plant Natural landscape Wood

Water Sky Plant Natural landscape Wood

Corded phone Telephone Telephony Machine Gas

Water Atmosphere Sky Natural landscape Dusk

Water Cloud Sky Smile Lake

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,394 Posts

I rebuilt the one in my S10 (gen 1 2.8 60 degree V6 with TBI) about 5 years ago and its still going strong. Its literally my most reliable beater haha.

Its even been to Canada a couple times! Here's the cottage trip me and my son did right before Covid lol (my family has a place on a lake about 3 hours north of Toronto middle of nowhere, rotary phone FTW):

View attachment 140548

View attachment 140549

View attachment 140550

View attachment 140551

View attachment 140552

View attachment 140553
Thats the one, occasionally they stayed together, but my early wrenching years I was constantly pulling them and having the crank turned, new bearings, high volume oil pump, chamfering the oil holes, ect. After a rebuild due to oil starvation they were alright, but off the line many of them were knocking from what I had been told.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,510 Posts

View attachment 140551

that's funny I have the same phone.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
So I've been quiet for a bit because I've just been stupid busy. Had to quarantine because of close contact, so to the shop I went. Wired up the lift, exhaust fan, receptacles, welding receptacle, Air compressor, etc. Basically everything but the lights is done. I'm just waiting for them to come in to get that finished. However, I have also been working on a heating solution. It was a balmy 27 today for the high, so I've been working towards building a heater. My thoughts were that a wood stove should be in order, so my dad offers a free old Diesel tank (100 gallons). I do some research on barrel stoves, and come up with a kit and some plans, so here goes:

the barrel

Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle

Marked it out and then hit it with the plasma cutter (which by the way is working amazingly).

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Grass Helmet

Gas Art Metal Concrete Composite material

Added the manifold to the back, so that I could have a built in heat exchanger.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Gas Automotive exterior

Ran pipes through it and welded them up. I have no idea what these pipes are made of, but the torch, the plasma cutter, the band saw, and the sawzall wanted nothing to do with cutting them.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Helmet Machine

Once the manifold was on and heat exchanger pipes were in place, then it was time to put a snail on it to boost that heat exchange. Found this fan off of an old dryer at an appliance repair store. Wired it up, and added the dryer pipe and elbow off the back barrel.

Automotive tire Plant Hood Motor vehicle Tread

Some finishing touches so that it looks as ******* as it possibly can.......

Wood Gas Bumper Auto part Machine

Automotive tire Wood Rim Gas Auto part

I call it "The Pig"

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I have no idea what these pipes are made of, but the torch, the plasma cutter, the band saw, and the sawzall wanted nothing to do with cutting them.
They kinda look like they could be stainless.

If they are, that'll explain it lol. Stainless tears up all my sawblades, and welders/cutters are so judgemental on the stuff "you're not 'normal' steel are you.... we're gonna act different towards you..."

Hair Glasses Hairstyle Cartoon Eye

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
It was used in water piping, supposed to withstand like a thousand psi or something. Very thick walled. A friend that does water purification for a living gave them to me. It was scrap from some job they did. Could be stainless, but it welded just fine with my MIG welder. Had to repair two of them. Definitely an oddball metallurgically speaking. I ended up jacking the plasma cutter up to 45 amps and then it chewed through them. Wasn't pretty but it was cut. I put the ugly ends on the back side in the manifold, so I didn't have to see them anymore lol. Thinking I'll put the flue in tomorrow since we have snow on the ground, and the electrical around the Pig is done.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
A friend that does water purification for a living gave them to me.
With pipes that thick walled for water purification purposes, if its not copper then I'd suspect its most likely some grade of stainless.

You'd be surprised at how well you can MIG on stainless with mild steel L-56 or ER70S-4/6 wire, using 75/25 argon/CO2 mix. Welds just like mild steel, although the weld itself is all kinds of redheaded step child at that point lol.

Mixing mild steels and stainless by welding using normal mild steel MIG process will stay very strong for most things you might feel like hacking together, your stove is perfect and will last a very long time. Just dont expect the weld to magically inherit stainless properties lol, it will most likely rust first at the end of the day. But shielded from the elements like rain, it will last forever.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
With pipes that thick walled for water purification purposes, if its not copper then I'd suspect its most likely some grade of stainless.

You'd be surprised at how well you can MIG on stainless with mild steel L-56 or ER70S-4/6 wire, using 75/25 argon/CO2 mix. Welds just like mild steel, although the weld itself is all kinds of redheaded step child at that point lol.

Mixing mild steels and stainless by welding using normal mild steel MIG process will stay very strong for most things you might feel like hacking together, your stove is perfect and will last a very long time. Just dont expect the weld to magically inherit stainless properties lol, it will most likely rust first at the end of the day. But shielded from the elements like rain, it will last forever.
ER70S is what went into it. I bought some L-56, but like a dummy got the wrong size, and no one around here seemed to have any L-56 in the right size. I used .030" wire on this with my Primeweld MIG 180. Some of the welds look very trashy, mostly because of myself and the material that was being welded lol. But on that old pipe, it actually welded very well. It helped that the pipe was very clean. The barrel, even with grinding, was still pretty gross. But, who knows how old that silly thing is.

NOW, the bigger questions, are we ready to build a barrel stove for Talons laboratory?

Reactions: robgoof and slo_eg8

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Plan to fire it off tomorrow. A little anxiety for me, especially on the outside. I mean, it was just a 12 foot ladder in the snow, leaned up against an icy metal building. No biggie, til it starts sliding around......

Wood Floor Gas Flooring Composite material

Automotive parking light Sky Land vehicle Wheel Tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rolling Rim Bumper

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Getting closer.

Automotive parking light Building Ladder Fixture Vehicle

Shade Wood Beam Fixture Building

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Got these light off of Amazon, base on the Beave's recommendation. He'd put them in several shops including two that he works out of right now, so felt pretty good about that and they come with a 3 year warranty. I'm just surprised how bright just the two of them are. You'll notice that I put a line of three down each side, so once those all get wired up, it'll be stupid bright in the main work areas. I'll put one over my welding station and one over my cylinder head work bench as well. Total of 10 of these LED's in the shop and they will all be hard wired in to switches. I just plugged these two up to a wall receptacle tonight to see how bright they'd be. Working out well so far.

Attachments

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
So it's been a while since I've updated the shop thread and a ton has changed. I mean a ton. I've already repaired several vehicles in there, including my own. The Blue Wagon lives in there, and I used it to protect windshields when we had snow a few weeks back, so I got to drive around with a clean truck in the snow lol.

Anyhow, I've almost got it set up the way that I want it, and there have been several huge things that have happened since my last post. I kept wanting to buy a drill press, a bench grinder, legit drill bits, and a few other sundry things that basically amounted to a few thousand dollars worth of just shop tools. Just things you need in a shop for it to function in any way. So I found a used bench top drill press and was discussing that with my family over lunch for my dad's 75th birthday. So brother in law says, my dad had one in his shop (his dad had passed away about 10 years ago). So I go look at it and find this:

Tire Sports equipment Wood Bicycle fork Wheel

This is it sitting in my shop now. So when we look at it, I ask how much he wants for it. He says take it, use it, maybe help me out some time, but it's yours if you want it. Then later he says, we should look in his dads shop that no one has been in in the last 10 years. He tells me that I can get anything that I want from it. I'm dumbfounded because low and behold I find a super old and sturdy bench grinder, all the drill bits anyone could ever ask for, a drill press vice, tons of measuring tools, taps, dies, easy outs, basically everything that I had been wanting, plus a whole lot more, and the craziest part....... He gave it all to me. And it wasn't junk. There was a lot of Snap On there, and other really good name brands. All the drill bits were from a textile mill's machine shop. So they are all super high quality.

Table Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

Wood Gas Metal Rectangle Font

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive design Bumper

Musical instrument Wood Gas Machine Circle

So much good stuff, and I've used it all and everything works great so far. Needed cleaning, adjusting, oiling, but only because it had sat for 10 years, but all of it worked great!

Motor vehicle Wood Font Gas Rectangle

This was also there, along with a little over half of the original pieces, but all of the big stuff. It's now mounted on the wall. It's just killer to look at!

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
So I thought to myself, dang man, you need more tool storage now. And so I'm just looking around on Marketplace. First click on it and see a roll cart for sale in the town that I work in and thought, surely it isn't a scam but at least if it was, it's close. He had just posted it seconds before I got on, and I was the first to respond. So here's what I saw in the listing: Matco roll cart for sale, slightly modified:

Motor vehicle Wood Cabinetry Automotive design Drawer

Cabinetry Furniture Wood Drawer Table

With this guy bolted on to the top of it:

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Dog breed Carnivore

He thought I wouldn't want it because of all the add ons, and I loved it. Best part, he only wants $150 and I was the first to ask for it. He was glad it went to me because I liked all the quirkiness.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,841 Posts
I have that same dog somewhere on the bench in the garage....and a kenworth in the backyard lol

one day, I want to drill out the eyes all the way through the front feet and mount red leds in place....maybe make them blink in time with the blinkers

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
So latest edition to the shop was a Harbor Freight blast cabinet. I'll begin by saying this. Harbor Freight updated the blast cab, but did not update the instructions at all. Also, there aren't really any instructions, just really small, blurry, non captioned pictures that absolutely suck. It was a pain to assemble as well. But really only because I caulked it fully. Both during assembly and then also after it was together. Mods include the full caulk job, adding a pressure regulator right on the cabinet, adding a blow off tool in the cab for cleanup inside, a baffle to keep so much media from being sucked out of the cabinet, a dust deputy cyclone separator setup with a 5 gallon bucket and a shop vac, I put it on casters, changed out the light fixture for an LED flood light and weather/media proof fixture, and lastly I zip tied the hinge springs because they are notorious for launching themselves into the stratosphere. All in all, I'm happy with how it turned out. Have yet to blast anything yet because I'm waiting on my vacuum hose to come in so the cyclone separator works properly but other than that it's ready to roll. Here's a peak at it:

Gas Machine Audio equipment Metal Electronic instrument

Automotive lighting Stairs Automotive design Hood Material property

Sewing machine Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior

Light Food Red Gas Cooking

a tube and a half of caulking, a few days of wrestling it by myself, and some explicative words, and it's all together. I'll get more as I begin to use it. Next to come is a powder coating system. Already have an electric oven secured for that.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts