Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been figuring this out for very long . basically i have about 230 at the crank . running 1.2bar td05 on a D16Z6 stock internals , i see some people with that number at half the boost . have 390cc injectors and tuned with e-manage . is my HP really low ? i lose to like a stock toyota corolla ( the new ones 110bhp ) until like 3rd gear then i manage to overtake . My exhaust is full straight through de-cat with a cut open muffler to make the pipe straight .

I narrowed it down to some things i suspect

manifold : its my old manifold cut up and rewelded to become a turbo manifold . was told by mechanic that if i buy the greddy turbo manifold i would just see gains of 5bhp around there which is pointless for me for that price )

injectors : they were taken off an old altezza i suspect they are screwed because of my idling problem that sometimes happens .

Fuel pressure regulator : im using a Sage fuel pressure regulator . its a rubbish brand from china and im not sure its too accurate

Stage 2 crower NA cam : i think i should just get a stage 2 turbo cam but mechanic claims i need a full standalone to run it . his words are pretty inconsistent though and ive given up on him . Can an e-manage piggyback run a turbo cam ?

Aiming for 300whp !

D

·
0 Posts
emanage would be your problem well at least one of them anyway and DO NOT buy a greddy mani if you dont have to try ccfab or something more like that also 1.2 bar is 12 psi right? If thats the case with better management I think you could convert that to 230whp at least thats my vote and how is it that you happen to know your bhp but whp??

·
Registered
784 Posts
Id bet its your exhaust manifold if anything. Probably not holding the pressure very well. Honestly, with what you've typed, I dont think your setup is ready for 300whp. I'm feeling generous so I'm going to give you the best parts to get roughly 300whp.

1) A real turbo manifold. Logs are fine, manifolds with runner length and a merge collector are better. ccfab on here offers them for very inexpensive otherwise there are other people on honda-tech. You can also try your luck on ebay.
2) TD05 is basically meaningless as far as turbo's go. There are quite a few TD05 Mitsubishi turbos. Which one you have is important to make a decision if thats fine or if you need a different turbo. Personally Id suggest a T3/t04e 50 trim .48/.60. I think a straight t3/14b would be too small for 300whp on a d16z6. You might be able to pull 300whp with a 60 trim t3 or a 14b though. They flow enough air theoretically. If you have a 16g TD05 that should work aswell.
3) You need bigger injectors and better fuel management. Emanage simply does not work aswell as a chipped ECU running any of the freeware programs. Say what you want, but if you want 300whp you need 550cc injectors and a chipped OBD1 ECU. Also atleast a 2.5bar map sensor. Go back to the stock FPR with a 255 walboro fuel pump. Keep it simple.
4) As far as Cams go, I know a lot of people suggest the zex cam. Personally Id run an OEM cam until your setup starts making power.
5) Make sure your FMIC is large enough and your charge pipes hold pressure well. Rig a pressure test for them all. Make sure the welds and couplers are not leaking air. This can easily kill power.
6) Make sure your exhaust doesnt suck. 2.5" at minimal. Make sure its free flowing and the bends dont suck.
7) Make sure your WG is working properly. It opens and closes when its supposed to. This is also very important.

It is very important to view a turbo kit as a system and not a bunch of parts thrown together. If the parts work well together, you will make power. If they dont work well together, you wont make power. End of story. Tuners are simply there to extract the power from your setup. They are not miracle workers. The last suggestion I can give you is, if you dont trust your tuner/mechanic, find a new one. Its not worth the time and effort to work with someone you dont trust/agree with.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup i already have . But ive decided to be more hands on and only go to mech when i really dont have any idea . I manage to fit my bumper on myself and headlights and im so proud of that :p .

My turbo is internally wastegated . how do i know if its working ? im using a manual boost controller . have my eyes set on westcoastturbos Garrett T3 "SUPER 60" Turbo with the .60 A/R compressor housing and .48 A/R turbing housing because i want the internal wastegate OR arrett T3/T04B Turbo with .60 A/R housing and .48 A/R turbine housing ( internal wastegate again ) . but i dont understand what these turbine wheel stages mean ? any idea what i could use ? maybe forged in the future and bumping up the boost aim for 350whp ? I looking for something that can last me till then . My current turbo is covered in rust and i suspect it may be a little screwy too

·
Banned
752 Posts
BlackMoon said:
basically i have about 230 at the crank . i lose to like a stock toyota corolla ( the new ones 110bhp ) I narrowed it down to some things i suspect
Uh...dumping the clutch at 9000rpm on 6" street tires is bad?

D

·
0 Posts
I dont feel the emanage is afe at that high of boost though! The other reason I say that is I researched alot on the subject when I had mine and the dynos wer ALWAYS lower with emanage when compared to uber,hondata,chrome basically anything else

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
how in the hell do u have 230 at the crank at barely beat a 110hp corolla??? doesnt make sense bro..... but I agree get a diff mani, greddy's are ok.... but just not the best yanno?? You should do a FLOW TEST and see how those injectors are doing.....

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
D16Z6TURBO said:
I dont feel the emanage is afe at that high of boost though! The other reason I say that is I researched alot on the subject when I had mine and the dynos wer ALWAYS lower with emanage when compared to uber,hondata,chrome basically anything else
makes sense bro, I forgot he is boosting over 10lbs..... I would rock uber or hondata if I were over 10-12lbs..... for sure....

D

·
0 Posts
MyblkVTEC said:
how in the hell do u have 230 at the crank at barely beat a 110hp corolla??? doesnt make sense bro..... but I agree get a diff mani, greddy's are ok.... but just not the best yanno?? You should do a FLOW TEST and see how those injectors are doing.....
yeah I was kinda wondering about that too LOL

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the problem with chipped ECU is no one i know will tune them and i sure as hell dont dare to try . :( . Also regarding the injectors i have ordered 550cc RC ones from ebay few days back and got myself a Sard FPR from a friend . Looking for a good fuel pump now and hope my fuel problems will be solved !

D

·
0 Posts
ebay Walbro 255lph about $100 with some change for shipping cant remember which seller I bought mine frome but all is well

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
D16Z6TURBO said:
ebay Walbro 255lph about $100 with some change for shipping cant remember which seller I bought mine frome but all is well
Thats what I did.... I got mine for 90 shipped on ebay tho....

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i discussed with some local forums and they claim that a t3 with .60ar comp housing is way too big and i will probably only see boost at 6krpm is that true ? honestly i know the t3 come with silvias right ? how can a twin cam 2 litre engine turbo be good for a 1.6l single cam . can anyone help me out on this. i need a new turbo i dont know what to do . i want something spools decent at like 4krpm and good for 350whp .

·
Registered
784 Posts
BlackMoon said:
i discussed with some local forums and they claim that a t3 with .60ar comp housing is way too big and i will probably only see boost at 6krpm is that true ? honestly i know the t3 come with silvias right ? how can a twin cam 2 litre engine turbo be good for a 1.6l single cam . can anyone help me out on this. i need a new turbo i dont know what to do . i want something spools decent at like 4krpm and good for 350whp .
You need to re-read the part that Honda4VW quoted. Obviously you dont understand what I said. It's pretty annoying to spend 10 minutes to type out a nice response of exactly what you need to do in order to reach your goals, and then you go and listen to a complete moron. My opinion is the reason your setup is such a failure is because you dont have a clue, who you surround yourself with dont have a clue, and the people you take advice from dont have a clue. Sorry to be kind of harsh, but if you are actually listening to someone that says a dinky t3 wont spool you're an idiot.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I agree with bigwig on whats needed, you're setup sounds like a good one for a daily driver with "adequate" power. However for what you are doing, the TD05, E-manage, injectors all need to go in the trash or on ebay for some newbies project. Get a CCfab mani, T3 Turbo with a .48 or .60 exhaust, and some crome or uber. The .60 T3 I ran on my A6 boosted around 4k. Look for dual scroll T3 from a 86-88 Mazda RX7 TII, that's what I used it was a good turbo and pulled hard to rev limit. You also don't tell us if you have a FMIC, what size piping, etc. I'd also have a look at your tires and your driving if you are barely pulling on Corolla's. You'll get beat by geo's if you can't put any of your power down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts