Honda D Series Forum banner

Shocks for a really low suspension???

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Ricky@3rdshift 
#1 ·
I have been reading on here about shocks and springs, but have not seen a good description on shocks/struts yet. My 96 Hatch is pretty low, but I suspect it is ridding on bottomed out shocks/struts, bue to it bouncing a lot.

What is a good shortened shock/strut that I can pick up for my car that works well with a slammed suspension?

Thanks
Ricky

#6 ·
If you get Koni Sports (yellow), I'm pretty sure you can get them revalved for extreme lowering. I'd do some searching on here about revalving shocks.

#7 ·
What is a good shortened shock/strut that I can pick up for my car that works well with a slammed suspension?
as far as "off the shelf", no. but i do know some manufactures offer short stroke/bodied shocks/struts designed for their lowering springs (nuespeed offers one) that are made to that manufactures spec., by a reputable shock/strut company (bilstein, or the like).

btw: the only reason i would not call them over the counter dampners is cause they don't have a general valving, but more specific valving for that spring maker.

#8 ·
Koni Sport RACE version. They have the SPSS3 valving in them, and have been shortened 1" front, 1/2" rear. It is impractical to shorten a shock any further then that because the uca and strut tower become the limiting factors. That valving will easily handle 1000lb/in springs and let you run as low as possible, within reason.

#21 ·
....and are completely unnecessary. Shortened shocks OR extended top hats, but not both. If you combine both, you will not be able to find a long enough bumpstop to keep the uca's from crashing into the strut towers. You'll also chew your fender liners to shit as the tire digs into the strut tower too.

#18 ·
Why don't you just contact Koni, Tokico, and KYB directly? Those are the top 3 strut/shock makers, see what they have to offer.

Also, you never listed what springs you have or how low you are. This isn't a cut/heated spring setup, is it?

#20 ·
I just boughthe car a week or so ago. It has coil overs with a red springs is all I can tell you. It has skunk2 upper arms is about all I know at the time, and it is rolling on stock shock/struts. As far as contacting directly I can do that, but thats not gonna tell me anythig beside ok we sell this --------- and the whole sales schpiel.

If I ask here in the discussion forum I get the recomendations usually from people who have used products they like and dislike. That is why I choose this method.

thank you come again.

#22 ·
Also, you can buy the RACE version of the Koni Sports directly from retailers. No need to get them through TrueChoice or ProParts. Contact Chris at redshiftmotorsports.com. *

* No affiliation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.