Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading on here about shocks and springs, but have not seen a good description on shocks/struts yet. My 96 Hatch is pretty low, but I suspect it is ridding on bottomed out shocks/struts, bue to it bouncing a lot.

What is a good shortened shock/strut that I can pick up for my car that works well with a slammed suspension?

Thanks
Ricky

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
If you get Koni Sports (yellow), I'm pretty sure you can get them revalved for extreme lowering. I'd do some searching on here about revalving shocks.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
What is a good shortened shock/strut that I can pick up for my car that works well with a slammed suspension?
as far as "off the shelf", no. but i do know some manufactures offer short stroke/bodied shocks/struts designed for their lowering springs (nuespeed offers one) that are made to that manufactures spec., by a reputable shock/strut company (bilstein, or the like).

btw: the only reason i would not call them over the counter dampners is cause they don't have a general valving, but more specific valving for that spring maker.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Koni Sport RACE version. They have the SPSS3 valving in them, and have been shortened 1" front, 1/2" rear. It is impractical to shorten a shock any further then that because the uca and strut tower become the limiting factors. That valving will easily handle 1000lb/in springs and let you run as low as possible, within reason.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i didn't know that. thanks for the correction/info.
I know for sure that Tokico warns against lowing more than 2". As it will encourage premature strut failure. I know that Dropzone (on the inexpensive end) makes struts for most Honda models, and are designed for lowered vehicles. As far as Dropzone specs and reputation goes I'm not too sure. Has anyone here owned a set? I personally trust Tokico HP's on my hatch.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
41,006 Posts
Koni Sport RACE version. They have the SPSS3 valving in them, and have been shortened 1" front, 1/2" rear. It is impractical to shorten a shock any further then that because the uca and strut tower become the limiting factors. That valving will easily handle 1000lb/in springs and let you run as low as possible, within reason.
Yep, we even have a direct contact thru a Honda-Tech member :)

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Why don't you just contact Koni, Tokico, and KYB directly? Those are the top 3 strut/shock makers, see what they have to offer.

Also, you never listed what springs you have or how low you are. This isn't a cut/heated spring setup, is it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just boughthe car a week or so ago. It has coil overs with a red springs is all I can tell you. It has skunk2 upper arms is about all I know at the time, and it is rolling on stock shock/struts. As far as contacting directly I can do that, but thats not gonna tell me anythig beside ok we sell this --------- and the whole sales schpiel.

If I ask here in the discussion forum I get the recomendations usually from people who have used products they like and dislike. That is why I choose this method.

thank you come again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.