Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is some shim into '00 canadian si tranny, I just replaced input shaft bering, and what is the right axial shaft play (with magnetic base and dial) and where can I buy those shims ?

thank you

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,434 Posts
no need to reshim if just changing the ISB.

The shim is in the other case, by the big mainshaft bearing.

I've never did the axial measurement......the clamp tool alone is $150 USD!

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've learned in my industrial gearbox course that we can take axial play by measuring with magnetic base (on casing)/arm/dial indicator toward shaft end. We do in most case with timken (or taper bering if you prefer) but it doesn't have taper bering in tranny. Well, why those shims are there ?

E

·
0 Posts
Man i don't think you actually need that clamp tool. I think honda just made that procedure to sell more tools.

All it does is move the input shaft on the assembled tranny back and forth -I.E. endplay. You can do that pretty well by hand and a cheap dial indicator is only $30.

Then again i haven't done it yet.

Is there no adjustment required if only replacing ISB's and not mainshaft bearings?

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
elamigo77 said:
Man i don't think you actually need that clamp tool. I think honda just made that procedure to sell more tools.

All it does is move the input shaft on the assembled tranny back and forth -I.E. endplay. You can do that pretty well by hand and a cheap dial indicator is only $30.

Then again i haven't done it yet.

Is there no adjustment required if only replacing ISB's and not mainshaft bearings?
I already have dial indictor. I only want to know if adjustments is needed for that !

No, is the answer !

thank you !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts