Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this is something my uncle in law told me how to do he know how to cuz he used to drive big rigs anyways i done this on my 96 civc and a madza mx6 turbo and had no problem doing it

ok this it what you do put the car in fitrst like you would normaly do and when u get to about 3kor 3.5k pull the stick into second with out pushing the clutch it will go in to gear when the rpm hits around 2.4k. when i do i on my civic it goes very smooth when doing other gears do it the same but when u do it to go to 5th gear you gotta do it fast before ya rpm drops... also when chaning the gears u have to pull it back nicely not like your racing and keep the force untill it goes into gear.

saving gas

change 1st gear at 2.3k rpm in first and 3k rpm in all other gears save a shit load of gas
 

·
Brokedick Millionaire
Joined
·
40,422 Posts
doesn't save any gas and it causes excessive wear and tear on the shifter forks.

Even "bumping" the stick into neutral while coasting down causes wear.

I still go through 1-2 shifter forks a year!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
I found that with a y8, best mileage is shifting at about 3500, and then cruising at 60 or so. With mostly highway, that'll give ya 38 mpg. And monitor the VTEC usage! Treat it like nitrous and you'll save lotsa fuel. I usually expect a 1 mpg loss per tank for every 5-10 times using VTEC, depending on duration of the run. (It takes fewer times for 3rd gear accelerations onto freeways, they suck the juice pretty good)

As a bonus, the shifts from 3500 are really easy to make smooth. With experience, it can almost feel like an auto shifting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
i did your method and all i get is bad grinding noises. i might have fucked up my gears. i don't know, but i'm gonna check when the weather gets warmer.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea it makes that noise if ya rpm drops to low but ATTENTION PEOPLE I DO NOT TAKE RESPONABILTY FOR YOUR ACTION THANK YOU
 
T

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uh, to achieve best gas mileage you all should check out you're owners manuals....they tell you at what MPH to shift at
 

·
Brokedick Millionaire
Joined
·
40,422 Posts
2900 rpm, keep it below that and let long term fuel tables handle the rest.

No idea what I mean?????????

Welcome to MY world of 44-45 mpg SOHC Civic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
powershifting is never good

even if it somehow saves you gas, its not gonna save you from having to switch your tranny once you mess up
 

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
Joined
·
5,910 Posts
Long term/short term fuel trims :) I'm nowhere near your age Bone but I am none the less in your world :) How do I save gas with my mostly highway travels? TAILGATING!!!

Most of the traffic consists of SUV's and Suburban type Explorer trucks and the usual tractor trailer. I get right up on their ass. Yeah I'm one of those assholes that when you look in the mirror you cant see my headlights. IT saves me a crapload of gas though lol! Drafting anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
you enjoy driving with a big SUV in front of you?

i usualy try to go around them... i hate being behind someone... i have this stupid urge to always be ahead of the pack.
 

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
Joined
·
5,910 Posts
Yeah most of us have that urge too but down here everyone drives like a madman on the highway. Traffic "flows" around 80-85mph so I feel no need to go any faster. I already got a Bs ticket from traveling in a pack of SUV's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Bizzar said:
Long term/short term fuel trims :) I'm nowhere near your age Bone but I am none the less in your world :) How do I save gas with my mostly highway travels? TAILGATING!!!

Most of the traffic consists of SUV's and Suburban type Explorer trucks and the usual tractor trailer. I get right up on their ass. Yeah I'm one of those assholes that when you look in the mirror you cant see my headlights. IT saves me a crapload of gas though lol! Drafting anyone?
Brake check!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
asssholes that tailgate me get a nice big and fast DOWNSHIFT, fuckers dont see it comming

and if they ram me i get huge cash settlement
 

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
Joined
·
5,910 Posts
Ahh but thats the beauty of tailgating. Not only do you save gas but it eggs the driver infront of you on and gives you a good excuse to down shift her and wiz on by lol. Yeah I hate tailgaters too and brake check em but if I see a big rig movin at a good clip I'm there buddy.
 

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
Joined
·
3,189 Posts
lmao...i know what you mean, I'll be doing that this weekend for the long trip to cincinnati...750 miles of drifting...
 

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
Joined
·
3,569 Posts
dxmannn said:
ok this is something my uncle in law told me how to do he know how to cuz he used to drive big rigs anyways i done this on my 96 civc and a madza mx6 turbo and had no problem doing it

ok this it what you do put the car in fitrst like you would normaly do and when u get to about 3kor 3.5k pull the stick into second with out pushing the clutch it will go in to gear when the rpm hits around 2.4k. when i do i on my civic it goes very smooth when doing other gears do it the same but when u do it to go to 5th gear you gotta do it fast before ya rpm drops... also when chaning the gears u have to pull it back nicely not like your racing and keep the force untill it goes into gear.

saving gas

change 1st gear at 2.3k rpm in first and 3k rpm in all other gears save a shit load of gas
If you save .01c of gaz per full tank, where did you find other $ to replace fork and syncro in tranny , you will save with method of driving and good setup for that & tune-up... LOL... If cars have clutch, it better to use that, if you are too lazy to push on this thing, go with automatic Golf TDI, you will find economy that you want with no clutch :p

Tell your uncle that Honda doesn't have yet Speed shift pro 400 semi-automatic tranny... :)
 
N

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
7thGear said:
asssholes that tailgate me get a nice big and fast DOWNSHIFT, fuckers dont see it comming

and if they ram me i get huge cash settlement
Hell yeah! I don't have abs on my 95 dx sedan but some asshole gets behind me and tailgates I wait untill they get really close then put my foot to the floor on my brake pedal! If they don't hit me at least I scared the shit out of them.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top