Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to take my engine out of my 92 hatch and I have everything off except my shift linkage. How do I get that damn pin out? I have tried everything. Do you push it up or down? Any info would be very helpful. Oh yeah... since the motor is from japan, do I have to run the wiring harness to opposite sides? I noticed the battery cables were on the wrong side. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,609 Posts
Yo, that shift linkage pin is a farting pig. I ended up pulling the whole motor with that farting thing still attached. bent the crap out of it to get it out, and just bought a new one from Honda when it was time. After the motor was out we used a sledge and a thing that you set nailes with, or you can drill that pig out.

Its a PIG so best of luck to ya!

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
Spray some WD40 in the hole where the linkage pin goes, let it penetrate a bit

Then use an 8MM punch (think that is the correct size) and a 3-4 lb hammer

It will come out, just takes some persistance. For the longest time I could not do it myself for a reason, even with the right tools. Once I figured out it just needs a bit of persuasion, it became easy. Just stay on it. Pund the hell out of it, once it starts, it will be a breeze.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it out using a 4 mm craftsman socket. I guess its considered a deep soclet. Its about an inch long and it worked perfectly. I pounded on the pin for about a solid half hour and after I found the socket, it took about 3 whacks. Anyways, thanks for the help

·
Registered
275 Posts
i hate that its the worst thing bout honda but i have major probs with it to. the last time i pulled my zc i pulll linkge and all then got it out and out it back in before i put the motor in.i nickmaed it a bitch pin cause it such a bitch to get out.i use a pucnh and 10 pound mini sludge it should come right out.its a pian in the ass to do it in the car and its wroes doing it from under the car.get at it it will come out

·
Want access???
98 Hx Coupe
12,304 Posts
civic4ges said:
Spray some WD40 in the hole where the linkage pin goes, let it penetrate a bit

Then use an 8MM punch (think that is the correct size) and a 3-4 lb hammer

It will come out, just takes some persistance. For the longest time I could not do it myself for a reason, even with the right tools. Once I figured out it just needs a bit of persuasion, it became easy. Just stay on it. Pund the hell out of it, once it starts, it will be a breeze.
and if the wd40 dont work get some pb blaster ..that will loosen anyhting

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
there is a bolt you can take out of your ac bracket I believe that works perfectly on the bitch pin. I have used a punch every time I have had to remove a bitch pin. I hate those things. Just make sure that you use something that fits perfectly on it and not in it. If you put a narrow punch in there, it will only expand the pin and make it so it wont come out. They do not call it a bitch pin for nothing.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
i found a piece of metal in the shape of a cylinder that fits perfectly over the pin... a little hammer action and eventually it starts moving.

Make sure your punch doesn't go inside the pin. Hammering on it like that will make it hang on to the edges of the hole even tighter. It's got to be a perfectly sized punch...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts