Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shift boots sags down and exposes the pole so what are some that would work in a 98 coupe with a skunk2 shift knob will and just work or how can I make it to not show I was thinking glue?

Attachments

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
you have to take the whole thing off, flip it inside out, and then ziptie the boot tight against the shift rod, and then flip it back.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
I think i could use a shift boot for mine as well. Haha

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Damn that thing needs cleaned lol.

But seriously the zip tie trick works best.

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Picture of that installed on your car?

I'm curious as to how it looks.
I'll post some tomorrow. There's 2 ways to mount it, one way you can see the adapter, the other way you can't. It screws on like the shift knob, so I just sandwiched it between the extension.

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,831 Posts
electrical tape is all you need. Zip tie will slide down the shaft, tape won't do that :)
I did this on all my cars growing up, works great!

Also I want to see that shifter retainer installed on an older car, I think this is for using a aftermarket shift knob on 01+ civics and acura's with the shift knob having the boot retainer built into it.

like this: (the black collar snaps into the stock knob, will this make it snap onto it?)

Stock knob (can barely see the collar)

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Picture of that installed on your car?

I'm curious as to how it looks.
Here you go. The plastic piece inside the boot was already broken. This works for me because it covers the joint for my shift extension. Mfactory shift knob FTW!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
My shift boots sags down and exposes the pole so what are some that would work in a 98 coupe with a skunk2 shift knob will and just work or how can I make it to not show I was thinking glue?
How about replacing it with a new OEM boot that still has the collar in place? Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel?

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,831 Posts
Why are we trying to reinvent the wheel?
It's all about innovation. If no one ever reinvented the wheel than we would all still be on stone or wooden wheels.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
It's all about innovation. If no one ever reinvented the wheel than we would all still be on stone or wooden wheels.
The wheel is still round, no one has ever reinvented it. ;)

The OP should have posted:
"My shift boot collar is broken, how do I fix it?"

An OEM boot will get the job done, and will do the job better than his suggested "glue" or tape. It will also look better than the one he has now. Then the OP can spend time and money reinventing something that needs to be reinvented.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,831 Posts
No glue, just free electrical tape from work and you never saw the tape as it was under the boot against the knob.

You can keep your stone wheels. I like my reinvented ones that hold tires on them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts