Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has had this problem. When I left off the clutch to take off, there is some shaking, like if the wheel is hopping. And if I take my time to shift between gears, there is some slight shaking also. Any idea what it would be?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Possible to have a friend engage the clutch while you stand beside the car watching for movement?

Another option would be to put the front end up on jack stands and get under there and watch while you engage the clutch.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
What kind of friction material? Sprung hub? How old is the disk? How much power do you make? Has this clutch always done this? Or is it more recent?

Greasy fingerprint, broken or weak sprung hub, some clutch materials can all cause that feeling.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I had something similar happen once, and what had happened is I welded my clutch to my flywheel. Every time you would slip them, the chunk of ceramic on the flywheel would smash the friction disc, and it would feel sorta like wheel hop I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I had a similar issue after a motor swap.

You said he did a clutch in it. Make sure the axles are seated properly, at the joint and in the trans
Good to see you back bro! I like how you just post up like you never left!:ph34r:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a similar issue after a motor swap.

You said he did a clutch in it. Make sure the axles are seated properly, at the joint and in the trans
Yeah. My friend swapped in a B18. I know he messed with the driver axle before I bought it off him so maybe that has something to do with it. I need to check it out asap.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Watch out n00bs...he's back.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Yeah. My friend swapped in a B18. I know he messed with the driver axle before I bought it off him so maybe that has something to do with it. I need to check it out asap.
Back when I was a Honda n00b I did swap and got a shake, my brother actually found the root cause and it was that.

Watch out n00bs...he's back.
Idk what your talking about lol.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Just becaus e he replaced the clutch doesn't mean it was done corrwctly. if he used a cheap clutch and or didn't turn the flywheel he will definitely have this issue. will be worse with other worn parts like bad motor mounts. this happened to my brother when he tried to cheap out. I had even taken a sander to try and smooth it out to no avail. 2,000 miles later we were replacing the clutch again and had the flywheel turned. butter smooth after that

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
Just becaus e he replaced the clutch doesn't mean it was done corrwctly.
THIS. Most people opt-out of the $50 it costs to get the FW turned down, then get chatter. Every time I tried using sandpaper, scotchbrite, etc - it lead to chatter. Each time I had a FW turned, both used & new clutches never chattered once.

As far as people suggesting the axles, usually it happens during hard acceleration, not just when engaging the clutch. It's from bent, unbalanced, or poorly ground axles wobbling.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The mounts are new.
I have seen loose motor/trans mounts cause the chattering issue. Sometimes when the transmissions are reinstalled, one mount is tightened down, then the next is installed and tightened, etc... But the original mount was never gone back to and re-tightened. I have seen it "bad enough" where the first mount is re-installed and torqued down tight, then the next mount is installed and tightened, and the first mount is almost finger loose just because the parts moved around that much from re-installing subsequent mounts.

May want to give that a shot and let us know if it helps.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I have seen loose motor/trans mounts cause the chattering issue. Sometimes when the transmissions are reinstalled, one mount is tightened down, then the next is installed and tightened, etc... But the original mount was never gone back to and re-tightened. I have seen it "bad enough" where the first mount is re-installed and torqued down tight, then the next mount is installed and tightened, and the first mount is almost finger loose just because the parts moved around that much from re-installing subsequent mounts.

May want to give that a shot and let us know if it helps.
There's an actual torque sequence for the mounts in the FSM.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts