Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am building a buggy with a d series engine. No sure which one yet.

So question number one: will an automatic tranny run without the engine harness plugged in to rhe ECU? Reason I ask is I may want to go carburate, but since it's an off road buggy I don't want to be shifting and clutching.

Question number two: if I DO go carburate, I thought about using a 83-87 civic/crx distributor. Question is will it fit? I know you can gut a d distributor and run an msd. But I thought that may be more simple. I know that it is hard/impossible to adjust it to be able to start and have enough timing for high rpms. The range just isn't there. But I want really see super high rpms I. This buggy. I'll likely stay in the low end of the rpm range.

Question three: if I do go manual, can someone please point me to a good shift linkage setup for rear mount? I know they do it on old school minis, so I may start there. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should clarify, I am talking about the vacuum advanced distributor from the carbed versions in question number 2.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
541 Posts
Why would you want to put a carb on there?

If you're savvy on the net, all the ED D series here in Australia are twin carb. You may find someone willing to ship one, they're dime a dozen. Alternatively you might find one pop up on eBay. the benefits obviously being they're already vac advance distributors and you can use the mechanical fuel pump that's incorporated into the head/cam.

Why not just go fuel injected though?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you want to put a carb on there?

If you're savvy on the net, all the ED D series here in Australia are twin carb. You may find someone willing to ship one, they're dime a dozen. Alternatively you might find one pop up on eBay. the benefits obviously being they're already vac advance distributors and you can use the mechanical fuel pump that's incorporated into the head/cam.

Why not just go fuel injected though?
I thought carbs would be easier really. I'm no so new to D series but I am new to them out side of a car. A lot less wiring is the main reason.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Get a complete running setup from a car, something that maybe runs like crap or blew up and rebuild it, you then will have everything to swap it over, I got a 2000 EX civic blown motor full car for $150. Someone on here had a mid engine powered D-series and had a custom built linkage for the trans, looked like a huge u joint thing, it's able to be done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts