Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, i been on h-t for awhile now, i don't usually come to this site because i usually have tech related experience so i try to help out there, as you can see i don't have the biggest post count on this site so if you guys choose not to help its ok, but i thought it might be worth a shot to post this here because you guys are just as knowledgeable or maybe even more as the people on h-t so thanks, been doing work to my 1997 hx for awhile, got everything done this last week that had to be done which included suspension, exterior work, interior, work and everything i wanted to do before the turbo except for the exhaust which will be done, when i bring my block into the place to do machine work, so here is my story for the people that care and what to read it, if you don't just skip down thanks and sorry. Well i am a full time master student with a almost full time job, I don't have that much time to do stuff so I usually take a long time to get things done, i do a lot of the work myself, because its just so fun to learn this stuff, but when it comes to the turbo, i will most likely have it installed at my place, I am first going to do all the internals, install the engine and break it in and then while breaking it in get the turbo parts. I plan on running a D16y8 i picked up blown from one of my friend, and hope to hit around 320hp, and retain PS, and AC, because its dam hot in New York in the summer, its not a nice hot, it a sticky nasty hot, and I use my car a lot. Well this is the things that i have on my list so far, I try to help anyone i can on this site, but now i need help for my self, from people that have done or have more knowledge then me, because when i don't know something i ask so thanks to anyone that helps me out, I will try and make this thread a constant one, and when i do the work i will post some pics, but I do things slow so it may be a very long time before everything that i want is done., I am dirt poor so i have to buy things as money comes in full time tuition for master's work is ass expensive and its draining my pocket and i am trying anything in all to not take loans. Well this is what i have on my list so far

--Eagle rods
-- Vitara pistons 8.5.1 Link to buy from http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW
Yes i know its ebay, but this dude is a great seller and i have had some people say great things about him so please don't flame me on that, if you have a better supplyer please let me know it would be great thanks
--- Gasket rebuild kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...photo
--- Skunk 2 Cam gear
--- Walbro 255 LPH fuel Pump
--- Skunk 2 retainer's and Springs
--- Arp head studs
--- act 6 puck disk and high pressure plate
--- ACT light weight flywheel
--- Y8 tranny with new ISB and OBX LSD if i can find it, i still am looking for a decant Y8 tranny if anyone has, i currently have a 95 dx in my car with a new ISB, but i dont want to really use it, due to the gear ratio's
--- I dont know if i should get a aftermarker intake manifold, or if the Y8 is good enough, if you guys tell me to get a new one i will probably go with a skunk 2 one, if i can find one on the for sale threads.
--- shaved crank pulley by the shop
--- P28 chipped with conversion harness, please let me know if this will let me run the car without the turbo when I break the car in, because i have no exp on ECU's
--- AEM fuel rail, with injectors that i don't know, please help me out, i want to use a T3/T4 and hit 320 horses, but this is later when i put the turbo on soo i guess it dosent apply right now

This is everything that i have on my list, i want to start to buy stuff but i had to ask you guys first because i like to double check everything first

I know that the y8 has trouble with the water pump, but i am working with what i have so please dont tell me to put a z6 in it because i cant, I am not worried about emissions, but i would like a cat, if that helps at all, its easy to get a sticker in new york if you know the right people, this has nothing to do with the set up, but i thought that it might help,

I will probably either update this thread when i need help or bump it, please try to deal with me this few months, because when i finish and have the exp, i will not hesitate to help anyone that asks for help. i don't really care if you flame, it does not bother me and i will not take it to the heart, my internet feelings are not apparent, and i don't care what a person on the other side of a computer has to say so please try to re frame from putting anything on this thread that has nothing to do with my setup and is aimed to try and hurt my feeling, because you wont.

·
formerly Kit88
6,233 Posts
I know that the problems with the d16y8 is the oil pump, not the water pump

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
--Eagle rods
-- Vitara pistons 8.5.1 Link to buy from http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW
Yes i know its ebay, but this dude is a great seller and i have had some people say great things about him so please don't flame me on that, if you have a better supplyer please let me know it would be great thanks
--- Gasket rebuild kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...photo
--- Skunk 2 Cam gear not required. but if you want to..
--- Walbro 255 LPH fuel Pump look into the affiliates section, they have one there for real real cheap. true walbros also.
--- Skunk 2 retainer's and Springs if you want. there is a top end kit offered here on the site for less then the sk2 stuff. very good stuff
--- Arp head studs definatly :TU:
--- act 6 puck disk and high pressure plate look into LSD motorsports. they have very very good clutches. the clutch i got from them works flawlessly. and even though it is very "heavy", it did not f-up the flywheel like other heavy clutchs would have. expesially considering i did not "break it in". but then again, how does one break in a six puck :lol:
--- ACT light weight flywheel don't go too light. 11-12 lbs seems to be a very good weight for dd/track use cars. i ran/run a 11 lbs prostreet one.
--- Y8 tranny with new ISB and OBX LSD if i can find it, i still am looking for a decant Y8 tranny if anyone has, i currently have a 95 dx in my car with a new ISB, but i dont want to really use it, due to the gear ratio's transzex (mista bone) is on the forum also. he can help you with all those trans questions. our trans tech section is chalked full of info about those LSD's and rebuild info.
--- I dont know if i should get a aftermarker intake manifold, or if the Y8 is good enough, if you guys tell me to get a new one i will probably go with a skunk 2 one, if i can find one on the for sale threads. imho, edlebrock is the only way to go when using after market. again stock will work, but has that nasty high #3 egt thing.
--- shaved crank pulley by the shop why? just run the stock one. it doesn't weigh an arm and a leg like a h or b-series.
--- P28 chipped with conversion harness, please let me know if this will let me run the car without the turbo when I break the car in, because i have no exp on ECU's what program is on it? iirc, a z6 has less timing then a y8.
--- AEM fuel rail, with injectors that i don't know, please help me out, i want to use a T3/T4 and hit 320 horses, but this is later when i put the turbo on soo i guess it dosent apply right now 550-650 will get you there, and offer the best injector control at idle, imho. rail is not required to make your goal. stock has worked at even 400+ whp :TU:.

I know that the y8 has trouble with the water pump i think you mean oil pump. water pump is good, oil pump sucks big old monkey nuts.
i would not hint about for sale stuff till it apprears on your screen. also view the affiliates section, killer deals can be had there. i can't veiw the ebay stuff, so i have no comments on that stuff.

btw: last build was a built y7, posted by build in the engine building section recently if your curious.

edit: click, some good info about another y7/y8 build covered here. also tossing in a zex cam has always netted good power. i can't remember the cam number, i am sure others will post it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks for the good info, i got a better, faster respond on this then honda tech, i just like to make sure on everything before i start building, I dont want cut any edges yea, oil pump my bad i typoed that, is there anything i can do about that or am i just sol, can i replace it with any type of aftermarket one to reduce that crapness of it. well here are the ebay links that dont work if your interested thanks for the fast response, i just called my machine shop and i asked them what the price is for putting everything together as a whole, which included balancing the pistons polishing and balancing the crank shaft and install everything up to the head, and he said 1500, i dunno if that is expensive, but it sounds expensive, its a really good performance shop by my way and is really the only place that i know of, if that is expensive and i am sure it is i will have to look for another place, but I heard they do top end work, and i dont want to cheap out on this setup, because i really want to run some good numbers i have some friends that just dont stop shitting on honda's and i hate it, so thank again here are the links
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D16-CRX-Civic-Si-ZC-Turbo-Pistons-Forged-Rods-Rings_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33623QQihZ008QQitemZ180203923823QQtcZphoto

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Civic-CRX-D16-Engine-Rebuild-Kit-ZC-D16A-D16Y-Si-EX-D15_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33620QQihZ008QQitemZ180204278935QQtcZphoto

hey just found the TOGA HV Oil Pumps site, will this solve my problems or at least lessen it, well more great info found already compared to honda tech, thanks guys i hope to post my build here if i ever get everything right thanks 99EJ6T for the insight

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
this is a good site for fast responses

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
thanks for the good info, i got a better, faster respond on this then honda tech, i just like to make sure on everything before i start building, I dont want cut any edges yea, oil pump my bad i typoed that, is there anything i can do about that or am i just sol, can i replace it with any type of aftermarket one to reduce that crapness of it. well here are the ebay links that dont work if your interested thanks for the fast response, i just called my machine shop and i asked them what the price is for putting everything together as a whole, which included balancing the pistons polishing and balancing the crank shaft and install everything up to the head, and he said 1500, i dunno if that is expensive, but it sounds expensive, its a really good performance shop by my way and is really the only place that i know of, if that is expensive and i am sure it is i will have to look for another place, but I heard they do top end work, and i dont want to cheap out on this setup, because i really want to run some good numbers i have some friends that just dont stop shitting on honda's and i hate it, so thank again here are the links
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D16-CRX-Civic-Si-ZC-Turbo-Pistons-Forged-Rods-Rings_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33623QQihZ008QQitemZ180203923823QQtcZphoto

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Civic-CRX-D16-Engine-Rebuild-Kit-ZC-D16A-D16Y-Si-EX-D15_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33620QQihZ008QQitemZ180204278935QQtcZphoto

hey just found the TOGA HV Oil Pumps site, will this solve my problems or at least lessen it, well more great info found already compared to honda tech, thanks guys i hope to post my build here if i ever get everything right thanks 99EJ6T for the insight

the high flow oil pump is cool...but also there is only 1 oil hole per rod journal i was told. compared to the 2 on the Z6. so oil pump isnt the solution 100%

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
yuup thought so, all those things are the reason im selln my built Y7 bottom end an im sleevin my z6 block and puttn forged pistons in cause i dont see the point inputtn all this money in a engine thats been down graded from its earlier fam. just fuckin retarded whoever made that call at honda to downgrade, needs to be shot.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
yuup thought so, all those things are the reason im selln my built Y7 bottom end an im sleevin my z6 block and puttn forged pistons in cause i dont see the point inputtn all this money in a engine thats been down graded from its earlier fam. just fuckin retarded whoever made that call at honda to downgrade, needs to be shot.
i would not go that far. some y7/y8 blocks have never had issues with the pump. both of the y7's i have owned had zero oil pump issues, even when i build and boosted the second one.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
yeah true...But im shooting for 600hp this year. However close i can get. So if anyone has a bare z6 head laying around, holla at me, ill be lookin for one to port. its a B series vs D series thing.lol

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
yeah true...But im shooting for 600hp this year. However close i can get. So if anyone has a bare z6 head laying around, holla at me, ill be lookin for one to port. its a B series vs D series thing.lol
I'm holla'ing

I've got two z6 heads, one with a bent valve and no vtak solenoid, one thats fine apart from no VC
make me an offer

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
yeah ive got over 4000miles on my d16y7/Z6 setup right now boosted on 15psi. no problems yet.but i dont wannt take the chance any more, and I thank Lucas Oil Stabilizer for that...the original not the shitty synthetic shit.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
yea the y series blocks are natorious for oil starvation problems.....
a toda pump can help in crease the flow but with 1 oil port per journal its kinda like pushing 10lbs of shit through a hole that can only handle 5 lol if that makes sense???

I went ahead and stuck with a y8 block for my first (built... just stock sleeves though) motor build....I will have a sleeved z6 in the works something :TU:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey guys 99ej6t said that Skunk 2 retainer's and Springs if you want. there is a top end kit offered here on the site for less then the sk2 stuff. very good stuff

where can i get them on this site can someone help me out thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts