Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
noob
95 Civic Coupe
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Plan on moving up to a 75 shot on my zex kit and it says to retard the timing by 4degrees. I know the marks on the crank pulley are 18 16 14. I just borrowed my friends timing light, how do i know where 12degrees is at? Sorry im a newb at the timing thing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
the only way that you will "exactly" know would be a digital timing gun and also you can just pull timing on you chipped ecu might be easier..

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
12* is gonna be hard to find/guess without a degree wheel. If you cant do that, then take measurements of the cut degrees on the pulley and add another one behind the last degree.

Heres what i mean: (it could/can work)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,428 Posts
12* is gonna be hard to find/guess without a degree wheel. If you cant do that, then take measurements of the cut degrees on the pulley and add another one behind the last degree.

Heres what i mean: (it could/can work)

Hope he doesn't follow your info, if he does you gonna pay for his melted pistons????

Using your diagram he would be at 20 BTDC base timing.

·
Registered
517 Posts
so bones the same idea as stated above but in the other direction?
That's what im wondering?

It makes sense to me if you know where 18, 16, 14 are.. Why wouldn't 12 be the same distance that 18, 16 & 14 are from each other?...

just go the correct direction.

Right?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yeh, bones is sayin lookin @ the car from the pass side, if he moves it to the purple hash(left/ counter-clockwise) he's advancing timing...

But I thought it was the other way around & to the right(clockwise) was advancing timing and to the left(counter) would be retarding?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yeh, bones is sayin lookin @ the car from the pass side, if he moves it to the purple hash(left/ counter-clockwise) he's advancing timing...

But I thought it was the other way around & to the right(clockwise) was advancing timing and to the left(counter) would be retarding?
retarding means its firing later. so the engine turns counter clockwise. the closer it is to TDC the later the spark.

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ok, gotcha.

·
noob
95 Civic Coupe
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im gonna try and just measure the distance between 16 and 14 to help find 12. I dont have a digital timing gun, so ill give this a try first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts