Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im attempting to work on the cylinder head and ive been doing massive reading and research online and with the pdf manual, i will be removing and cleaning all valves, cleaning the cylinder head as much as possible.

but i do have a question on setting the cam at tdc. once i have reinstalled the valves and i place the cam shaft in place and line it up with the markings for tdc. is there anything i should look out for when i rebolt the rocker arms back on? and im assuming that some valves will stick out from the position of the ramps on the cam, which cylinder will that be? and last question can a cam be set to tdc with the rocker arm bolted in place by manually moving the cam gear or is that stupid to do?
your help will not go unrepped.

best regards

John Gonzales

·
Registered
407 Posts

you are thinking in the right direcition. you can turn the camshaft over via the cam gear. However, do not have it on a flat surface beacuse you can bend the valves. I would recomend somthing like this that i made. it allows you to hold the piece in place but also keeps it up off the surface and lets you turn the cam over to get tdc and inspect everything for proper motion.
One other thing, when you go back to install the head. line up the block to TDC and line the head up as well. Do it before you put the head back on dont turn just the head wile the block is at tdc because you could bend the valves.

good luck
m.

·
Registered
A honda!
352 Posts
The only advice I can give is for removing the rocker arms.
which is to keep the bolts in them to keep things in one piece when you first remove them from the heads.
Just loosen the bolts and leave them in the holes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts