Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

I built a high CR D16Z6 NA engine. It is leaking oil, and of course it is the black box at the end of the engine.

After looking at it, I started thinking about my set-up and if it is correct, or should I add a few things.

Basically, I have valve cover gases going to catch can, and crankcase gasses going through black box into catch can.

From catch can it goes back into the intake tube. The intake manifold hole is closed.

Here are my ideas and concerns:

1. Should I put in a PCV valve into the tube that goes from black box into catch can? ( not sure if the pressures can go wrong way? )

2. Does the black box even do anything, or can I throw it out and put in a nice fitting so it never leaks?

3. Is there a chance my car idles wicked because there is no more pressure from crankcase going into IM? ( probably my crower 2 cam and other mods are the problem )

4. Should I put some metal sponge material into the catch can and make two longer tubes through it to make sure my intake sucks cleaner gasses mixed with air?

5. I used to have a filter on the catch can instead of a hose going to the intake, but it smells like deadly gas, and I think intake suction is good for both crankcase and valve cover venting?

I may be a bit paranoid, but I want to go on a long trip across Europe, so I want to make things right.

Thanks, and here is my drawing with current set-up:

Slope Font Parallel Diagram Sharing

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,314 Posts
The stock setup would work well enough, but yes adding a pcv valve to the catch can, and a low suction check valve to the line going from catch can to the air intake would would be essentially returning to stock function while burning less oil vapors.

·
Registered
90 Civic LX / 90 CRX HF
64 Posts
Wait, so do you think I got it right?
Indeed.

What you are doing is pretty much recreating the stock PCV system but throwing a catch can in the middle. A check valve just prevents vapors and pressure from coming back.

The ol' steel wool in a can trick works as long as it's actually stainless. I would recommend just grabbing a baffled catch can and save yourself a potential headache.

The filter would just vent crank pressure to atmosphere but then you wouldn't have vacuum for your catch can, like you would with this setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts