Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do alright. around 50 a week busiest and around 30-35 a week average. Nothing crazy. And it's not as if I can't do the work. there's factors, warranty, getting stuck on diag., having to do oil changes, lack of real work.

I'm not here to bitch about hours. Talk about the average customer. The average customer does oil changes, recalls, and will let you do anything free under warranty that's it. maybe a air or cabin air.

An oil change is important, not changing your oil causes problems. But there more to maintenance. My assumsion is that people are believe just do oil and that all it needs. Plus there practically free so I do that. There's so much more.

It's interesting the customer that'll come in to a dealer for oil changes, which is common knowledge charge more, but never have anything else done. Why not just go to a quick lube. WE don't do a better job then anyone else. You get an oem filter, but is that really a big deal.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
As a service advisor, I agree with you whole heartedly. The real problem is that people don't believe that basic maintanence applies to them. Customers believe that they drive their vehicles "normally", but won't read what a manufacturer lists as normal driving conditions.

·
セックス大好&#
'93 240sex
505 Posts
Yeah I hear you. My job title is "PDI technician" but if im out of PDIs I do all the recalls and warranty shit the other techs don't want to do.

And on PDIs its bullshit. I get paid 1.4 for each one I do, and since its a warranty procedure I HAVE to flag 70% of that which is right at 59 minutes so basically an hour.

The whole thing maybe takes me 25 minutes to do. So im sitting on my phone for most of my day because I cant do shit else because im flagging a warranty job.

So I get paid flate rate, only to be limited on what I can push out in a day.

At that though I still usually make 90+ hours every pay period (1st-15th and 16th-30/31st) ive made as high as 130 some odd hours in a paycheck if I have the work

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Honestly flat rate is the biggest problem with dealerships. As a tech you are kinda "forced" to try and find "issues" with a vehicle so you can get some hours. However that lends weight to the idea that stealerships are ripping you off. Which sometimes it seems as if they are. I find as I deal with customers they are VERY leery of dealerships. Plus during the slow months, october-february, there no money to be made. As a business owner I charge $60 an hour and people are happy to pay that, because they "trust" me, and its 40% less than most shops.

Plus dealerships pay tech half for warranty time..... kinda BS. And if your service writer hates you and shoots you spill and fills all day.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
I average about 50 hours a week at Toyota.

I think my biggest complaint is the amount of vehicles I have to tear through to get that number. In a perfect world I would have 2-3 cars through my bay every day and make 8-12 hours, not like 8 cars and most of them are basic maintenance or warranty trim shit for picky customers.

I like repair jobs that are 4-5 hours, that seems to be the perfect length for my attention span hahah.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Oh, and the worst thing in the world is warranty diag... Because with Toyota, if you don't find anything wrong, you don't get paid anything for looking at someones car.

Which becomes a really big fucking issue when you have old people coming in all the time complaining about shit that isn't there.

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
And on PDIs its bullshit. I get paid 1.4 for each one I do, and since its a warranty procedure I HAVE to flag 70% of that which is right at 59 minutes so basically an hour.
Damn, 1.4 hours on a PDI? I only get 0.4 to 0.6 depending on the vehicle lol.

GM rapes on labor times. :hammer:

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
We get 1.5 hours for a pdi, 1.0-1.6 hours for block heater depending on vehicle, and 0.3 for nitro fill. Toyota doesn't care about how fast you crank them out.

Some of those block heaters take like 3 minutes to install cause they're all a dry style that you just smear thermal grease on and plug into a hole machined in the block

·
セックス大好&#
'93 240sex
505 Posts
Flat rate sucks when most everything I do is warranty. I do get the occasional used car, I fucking love getting used cars. Minimum 1.3hrs for an oil change and inspection. And I can usually always sell all fluids and filters and an alignment. $$$$$

Also... fuck this thing

Let me take 30 minutes to over an hour, to tell you to get no money or 3 tenths of an hour. Fuckin GR8s

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Haha yeah that thing is garbage.

"Battery must be charged for 45 minutes before it can be tested"

Fuck off

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
The GR8 is so biased.

"Oh, you just replaced this battery? Here is a print-off saying it's below efficiency, replace."

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I dont work flat rate yet.... At times I wish I did... then theres the weird shit that fucks you right over, like an Alternator I did on a Smart Car the other day.

I have smallish arms and hands, and I couldnt even attempt to get my hands in there. WTF.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Worked for goodyear and ford. The last 10 years, I've been working for an independently owned tire shop. I'd have to say I like independent shops better. As long as you hustle and do a good job, you can make money anywhere. The problem is people pay a lot for a car and dont think that they should have to pay for it to be fixed because it cost so much in the first place. There's also a stigma about mechanics being "stupid" and there are a lot of gorillas out there that are mechanics. I almost finished my 4 year degree in computer science before going into the automotive field. I find it difficult to explain problems to people about their cars without talking over their heads and they still view me as not as intelligent as them. The business itself is cut throat and that doesnt help either. If everyone got together and charged more, people would have to pay more because they need us to fix their cars. It will never happen though. Soon, when IT guys and networkers have to start diagnosing the wiring problems in the new cars, the labor rates will go up because those guys will not work for cheap.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
There will always be two sides of the coin.
The biggest reasons I am not interested in the dealership aspect is because of what I hear about the warranty work....or only getting paid 2 tenths for a diagnostic.

But then there's the other side working for the Indy...most gm front wheel bearing labor guide gives 1.5 hours... my best time (not having to wait for parts) was around 20 minutes.

Doesn't matter where you work...some days you straight kill it..... other days you get bent over with your ankles cuffed to your wrists..

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As a service advisor, I agree with you whole heartedly. The real problem is that people don't believe that basic maintanence applies to them. Customers believe that they drive their vehicles "normally", but won't read what a manufacturer lists as normal driving conditions.
Oh, yeah, you say severe conditions and it's like oh no I don't drive severe. and people are totally fuck maintenance as if they have the only car in the world where you don't have to do anything to, oh it's fine. Everyone is lying, brake, coolant, trans, etc. fluid manufactures. Do nothing and then buy another car. Imagine a world where eveyone did all maintenance how many repairs would even be needed?

Yeah I hear you. My job title is "PDI technician" but if im out of PDIs I do all the recalls and warranty shit the other techs don't want to do.

The whole thing maybe takes me 25 minutes to do. So im sitting on my phone for most of my day because I cant do shit else because im flagging a warranty job.

So I get paid flate rate, only to be limited on what I can push out in a day.

At that though I still usually make 90+ hours every pay period (1st-15th and 16th-30/31st) ive made as high as 130 some odd hours in a paycheck if I have the work
PDI's yeah, I have to literally do everything; pdi's, warranty, LOF,. we only have to flag 50% efficiency. But yeah, that's super annoying. There's recalls I can do super fast and I have to wait. We use time cards so I tried flagging multiple ro's at the same time. ie started 3 different punches at once then flagged out 3 jobs at 30 mins. They didn't like that..... Had to stop.

We get 1.0-2.0 depending on the car for pdi's.

Honestly flat rate is the biggest problem with dealerships. As a tech you are kinda "forced" to try and find "issues" with a vehicle so you can get some hours. However that lends weight to the idea that stealerships are ripping you off. Which sometimes it seems as if they are. I find as I deal with customers they are VERY leery of dealerships. Plus during the slow months, october-february, there no money to be made. As a business owner I charge $60 an hour and people are happy to pay that, because they "trust" me, and its 40% less than most shops.

Plus dealerships pay tech half for warranty time..... kinda BS. And if your service writer hates you and shoots you spill and fills all day.
I diffenitally have to do inspections on all cars to make money. I don't lie about services needed. things like brake fluid and p/s that don't have a specific mileage interval is up in the air. 2 years was what I was taught. but the fluid still looks fine at 2 years. But I'll look at maintenance sheduales and there's things I wouldn't normally recommend when I was hourly, but now being flat rate and need every dime, like fuel addiitive, fuel tank filter, 30k belt on hybrid, .

There's always something, be leary of the shop that says you never need anything.

I average about 50 hours a week at Toyota.

I think my biggest complaint is the amount of vehicles I have to tear through to get that number. In a perfect world I would have 2-3 cars through my bay every day and make 8-12 hours, not like 8 cars and most of them are basic maintenance or warranty trim shit for picky customers.

I like repair jobs that are 4-5 hours, that seems to be the perfect length for my attention span hahah.
Agree, 1 bigger job is better in a ton of cars at .5 or 1 a piece. we get .3 for oils and you hear people oh there better then nothing and there really not. a waste of time really. We don't have lube techs....

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There will always be two sides of the coin.
The biggest reasons I am not interested in the dealership aspect is because of what I hear about the warranty work....or only getting paid 2 tenths for a diagnostic.

But then there's the other side working for the Indy...most gm front wheel bearing labor guide gives 1.5 hours... my best time (not having to wait for parts) was around 20 minutes.

Doesn't matter where you work...some days you straight kill it..... other days you get bent over with your ankles cuffed to your wrists..
warranty times suck. and most of the time you don't get anything for diag. but there's good pay scales when you get certified and bonuses.

The best system is hourly / flat rate if you make over 40 hours.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do like flat rate that when it's slow you can do whatever you want and not have to look busy or clean, etc.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts