Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 civic hatch with a d15b2 dp motor.. I was cleaneing up my battery terminals & when I was tightening them back up I dropped my wrench & it sparked the battery. I started the car & walked in my house 2 tell my wife i was leaving when I got in the car & my car smelt like burning wires & lil smoke fumes was coming from under my dash. The next day I took the cover for the gauges off & was tryin 2 hear any sparks or of see the smoke again when all of a sudden my car shut off & wont start back up. the dash lights seem 2 be lit up a lil bit with the ignition off & i took the dash apart 2 see if anywires were stuck together or burnt but all i could find was 2 ends on 1 of the plugs to my gauges was burnt but I cant find another other problems in the wires anywhere else. I have no clue what happened when I dropped the wrench.. also my car is blinking as code 20 but ive read post where peoples car will still run even with a code 20... any help at all is appreciated you can reply to my post or pm me... just any help at all is what i need

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so iif it starts does that mean i burnt out my starter selonoid or something because it dont do anything when i turn the car over i dont even hear a click

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked all the fuses 2day after I pulled the dash out lol but all of em looked good thats y im so confused on what happened because I had the car idleing then it just died & hasnt started back up.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
yo might have shorted our the wire going to the ignition switch from the starter it should be on the drivers side by the strut tower thick black wire with yellow tracer i believe

try testing that

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i will & ill get back 2 u on that.
but i might be getting a complete harness for 50
Ill be getting the dash harness with fuse block & the engine harness with fuse block
I know everythings good too because I drove the car im getting the parts out of & the dudes selling me the shit because hes gonna be redoing everything for a type r swap

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the gauges & harness but not the engine harness yet... I had it runnin then it died again... I got it started 2day again & the ground started to smoke so i yanked it out real fast b4 it burnt my gauges again... The ground was hot so im thinkin I have a short & the ground is pushing power... Imma double check all grounds even 1's in the engine harness...
When it died on me I pushed it 2 my apartment & i turned it over & the starter would hit but it wouldnt hold enough to start the car

·
Registered
698 Posts
Honestly man, it's gonna suck but you may want to just replace the entire harness. If things in the interior are burnt then that was a major electrical issue. I don't have the car in front of me to test parts but it could be a lot of shit. Definitely check your ignition switch and also your main relay, it's a stretch but who knows.

If you can locate a replacement harness that would be ideal, hell, maybe just start with an engine harness for now and see what happens.

Hope this helped

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I replaced the harness under the dash... the one that goes from the fuse box to the gauges & radio & shit I havent replaced the engine harness or the harness to the ecu yet those r u the only 2 harnesses I havent tore apart yet but im getting ready to

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the car started but now when I turn on my headlights the ebrake light, oil light, & seatbelt light, check engine lights all light up & when I hit my brights they dim & my backlights on my dash dont work. The difference in my gauges is 1 is from my 89 which is bad & I have a 90 cluster that has the open door light on the dash. My cluster has 2 plugs & the 90 cluster has 2 gary & a blue plug. Could the blue plug not being wired in cause my prob or could it be something else. I dont not know what the blue plug wires go in to or anything I havent found a diagram to wire it into my harness the plug only has 2 wires 1 yellow & a yellow/black....
I havent drove the car yet either 2 c if i have anymore problems I am gonna drive the car tomorrow

·
Registered
88 sedan DX
268 Posts
88-89 clusters are different than 90-91 you would have to rewire the plugs to use them. Based on your current list of problems, prob best to use a known good cluster of the right year ranges.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
20 is electrical overload i think

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea code 20 is electrical load detector but gotta test it because when I test the ELD itll tell me if i have a short between the main fuse boxes or between the engine & the alternator. The one wire is supposed to have 12v(battery voltage & the other is supposed to have between 4.5 - 5volts. If i dont have battery voltage then i know its between my fuse boxes & if i dont have 4.5-5volts then my prob is between my engine & alternator.
just some info if anybody ever runs into this problem
I havent beenable 2 test it because of school & shit but my cars runnin just not that great but it gets me to & from school & thats all i need till april when I do a complete dash & harness swap

1 - 18 of 18 Posts