Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm trying to narrow down the possibilities of why my car is overheating very badly. i just finished my motor swap and turbo, and i drive the car for a few minutes, it gets up to temperature and then pegs out in the red, boiling coolant in the reservoir and cracking the plastic end tank on my radiator. would this be caused by a bad water pump, faulty thermostat, or something else? my guess is that the motor i bought had a blown headgasket. i did a compression check today, and the number one cylinder hit barely 100, then hit 175 on the next revolution. then they all pretty much hit 175 with no problem. the car runs, it just gets hot and stays hot, fan blazing and coolant boiling. any other things to look into, i'll check them... could this also be the cause of my iacv cel and crappy idle?

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i think i'll just pull the head off. it will help me vent some aggression.

·
Registered
30 Posts
check the head and block for warpage. I had the same deal, new pump,new thrmostat,new temp sensors still would run decent cold and full of fluid then it would start boiling the coolant out....also check the top of the radiator isn't bent... hope that helps.... p.s. don't forget to check the head and block diagonally.

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the pump is old, the thermos new, temp switch is new, my radiator cracked and i swapped in an hf radiator for fun, and it still boiled it out. the radiator was twice the size of my stocker! i plan on sending the head to a shop, maybe have the valves adjusted or minor freshening up if i do.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm new to Honda cooling systems, but from what I've seen working on other brands...

Did you bleed the cooling system after you changed the radiator? I know a lot of vehicles are finicky this way. On some models, this can ruin an engine if not done. I saw a Durango owner get mad cuz the Honda shop he went to forgot to bleed it, so they ended up replacing both cylinder heads.

I'm assuming your fluid level is good. I've seen a couple where people complain about their car running hot, only to find they're almost dry in the radiator.

Fan works and turns on at the proper temp?

It almost sounds like a thermostat stuck closed. It could be just a faulty unit, you said it was new. My car did that once and pegged almost into the red real quick.

·
Registered
915 Posts
yeah..you can run it without it..but y not just put a new one in while u got the old one out...if u decide to run it without, let it idle and get fully warmed up and then get in it and hold it at about 2500 and see if it gets hot but dont drive it, for the simple fact that if it heats up again you dont wanna be drivin it with it boilin hot

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'll do that. i put a new thermo in it already, and only drove the car 10 miles with this setup. i'll check that this afternoon, and yank the head if it gets again.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yeh, just try the new thermostat and make sure your level is good. Also do you have a new radiator cap? That could be part of the problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
check to make sure the radiator where the cap seats isn't bent (the lip) and the little stopper tangs whatever you call them. mine were bent causing the cap not to seat properly once the pressure was released it just stayed open spewing coolant everytime I got on the gas.

·
d-series smartass
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it was the headgasket. it was blown in several spots. the head is warped about four thousandths... i'll get her milled and a valve job as well. thanks for the help!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts