Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i pull the headgasket apart to take the middle layer out? its stock hg thickness im doin this to raise cr a bit... d16y8...

hg got rivets in how do i remove this?

·
Boost Gets You Laid
4,402 Posts
how do i pull the headgasket apart to take the middle layer out? its stock hg thickness im doin this to raise cr a bit... d16y8...

hg got rivets in how do i remove this?
With a drill. as for putting it back together afterwards I have no clue, someone else might be able to chime in for that one lol

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I really have never liked the idea of separating a head gasket. I would look into getting something that is already the right thickness...

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
1) drill out the rivets
2) hold the two remaining halves in the correct order
3) place both halves over the dowel pins (it will hold the hg together while you install the head)
4) install head

easy as pie.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
any problems doing this like blowing hg?

if anything max 1.5hp out of doing this lol??? gonna play with the timing on the track on friday...

gonna do mild port job too on the head while its off... if i mess up i got a spare haha... so i think 0-5hp out of that too?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I did it once, and I didn't blow the head gasket per say...but I did have issues when I spooled her up to 6 grand she spewed coolant out of the overflow...If I drove her nice no problems, but as soon as I juiced her, it wouldn't take long for the coolant to blow out th eoverflow....my suggestion is to spend 60 bucks, shave your head about .040 and put a stock hg on...torque to regular specs.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I havent an effing clue, this is just what happend...so I did what I just suggested, pulled the head back off, shaved it up and put a stock hg on it. after that, no problems, except I was replacing tires too often...

·
Boost Gets You Laid
4,402 Posts
i see is there anyway to stop that? i dont really have time or money to mill the head .4
Uhh, his issue sounded like something the turbo guys get, head lift/float. There's many factors for crap like that.

I ran my y7 with a 2-layer hg for a while just fine, got replaced with an regular OEM one when I had to re-ring the motor.

Some argue it throws off the cooling system since the middle layer has little coolant hole things in it. I take one of those "don't know, don't care, don't give a shit" views on it lol. I'd say hold off the track for a week and just have your head decked at a shop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts