Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is are the the same sensor. I know they look differnt. In the image the one I the left is out of a 99 d16 block the one on the right is out of a d15 block.

I done an a mini me d15/y8 but it was put in a 99 civic. All connections hooked up correct except this plug.

I'm pretty sure they are coolant temp sensor to tell the rad fans to turn on....am I right and how to I go about solving this..

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These sensors were in the exact same spot on each block but the thread bore is bigger on the d15 vs the d16

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
The sensor on the right in the pic is an 88-91 fan switch. The sensor on the left in the pics looks to be a knock sensor from 96-00. Or the left pic could be the oil sender for the oil light in the cluster. It's hard to tell as it's broken.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's broken from it? Nothing poke off on the connecter end. Running a stock 99 ex ecu what is my solution here...if it is a knock sensor what will it cause if that's not functionig properly

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Isn't the knock sensor a bit bigger than the oil sender? Maybe not, I can't remember either... IIRC, I used a 24mm socket for one of them...

Coolant is the one by the thermostat for OBD1 and 2

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Knock sensor

Oil sensor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First off thank yall for your help I'm sure some of you are thinking hey what a dumbas. I'm really needing to get this car back on the road this weekend and this is my last issue to resolve....so again thanks to anyone who is giving me the info to resolve this.

Okay so it is a knock sensor but on this d15 where does that sensor go because where that goes looks to be the coolant temp sensor and I belive coolant can get to that sensor...correct? if this is true do I need to make sure that coolant DOES NOT get to the knock sensor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where the arrow with no words is would be the spot that I pulled both of those sensors from the one yall say is a knock sensor was in that spot on the d16 and the coolant temp sensor was in that spot on the d15. Now the one I have with k.s. is where yall are saying the knock sensor should be...right?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
What's broken from it? Nothing poke off on the connecter end. Running a stock 99 ex ecu what is my solution here...if it is a knock sensor what will it cause if that's not functionig properly
left looks like a knock sensor.
It post pix of the other side to be sure.

if its broken you will have a check engine light and the the car wont have as much power as it should.
If your going to replace it get an oem one.

if it happens to be the oil psi sensor. then your have oil shooting out of your car when you start it (this sensor is right above the oil filter)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'd check your block against the diagram again. Idk about OBD0 blocks (only had one in my face ever really), but the arrow that you mention is what most people would use for crank pressure ventilation... And that's a huge plug.

You're likely referring to the oil sending unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have the parts on me to take pics but they are both just flat and slightly recessed on the other side

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can i mount the knock sensor where the collant temp sensorry was originally on the d15 and it not cause problems for the knock

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 99 ex that came with a d16y8...blew the motor found a d15 out of a 90 dx and swapped the block only..literally that's the only thing that changed...the block. My only two problems to finish this is the knock sensor and the ckf sensor. I seen the bypass for the ckf but didn't know if I should try that as a full proof fix..from my understanding there is not a spot to mount the ckf sensor or the knock sensor on that block

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can i mount the knock sensor where the collant temp sensorry was originally on the d15 and it not cause problems for the knock
no, you can't.

why are you putting a knock sensor on a d15?

I have a 99 ex that came with a d16y8...blew the motor found a d15 out of a 90 dx and swapped the block only..literally that's the only thing that changed...the block. My only two problems to finish this is the knock sensor and the ckf sensor. I seen the bypass for the ckf but didn't know if I should try that as a full proof fix..from my understanding there is not a spot to mount the ckf sensor or the knock sensor on that block

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I appreciate yalls help and don't worry after this car is back running yall won't hear from me for a while because I will not be trying another motor swap for quite a while.

is the knock sensor bypass necessary to make the car run right or is it just to make the CEL go away

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
it won't go into vtec without the knock sensor being connected... I think you can just connect it and ziptie it somewhere to get rid of the cel

1 - 20 of 20 Posts