Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Greetings from Melbourne, Australia!

I saw that the forum here had a engine building section so I thought it would be most appropriate to post my question here! I have ran a few searches and unfortunately didn't find any info on my problem!

Basically a year ago I embarked on my first engine build! I had all the engine machining done and ordered all the parts I needed. I ordered Wiseco pistons and when I was inserting the wrist pin clips in the side, my pliers slipped and I scratched the inside of the piston boss (bore) on one side. Please see the following email for further explanation, which I sent to Wiseco.

< EMAIL BEGIN >

Hello,

I have a set of Wiseco sports compact pistons (pn: K556M865 - domed version) for my SR20DET. As this is the first motor I'm building.. I don't have the building experience and have made a mistake when inserting the wrist pin clips. Instead of using a wooden dowel, I unfortunately used pliers which slipped as I was putting the clips in, and it scratched the inside of the boss where the wrist pin sits. The scratch is minimal.. I can just notice it with my nail. Unfortunately at the time I didn't think much of it (stupid me) and continued to put the motor together. At the time of my slip up after the scratch, I inserted the wrist pin in the piston and place the piston flat on my table. I pushed down hard on the pin while rotating it and then took it out. I couldn't see any evidence of scratching on the pin in the position where the scratch was.

I don't have enough experience and knowledge to know how much of a problem this may cause me. Under extreme heat and friction I guess the pin and piston expand and all kinds of different things happen during this time.

I guess I'm just after some advice on what I should do, how much of a risk I am taking by running it this way, and how long it may last for. I know it's hard to answer but I would really appreciate your opinion on this.

< EMAIL END >

If some of you more experienced builders out there could give me your opinion on this, I would appreciate it!

Matt

·
Registered
97 civic lx
967 Posts
Have they not responded to your email in a years time?

It can't be good, but depending on the scratch, it may not be catastrophic. Take a picture of it and let us see. Maybe you can just polish it out??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately due to my inexperience and stupidity I presumed it would be okay and I kept building the motor. It's pretty much complete now and only recently have I started to worry about it more and started to research. Stupid I know.. but hey it's a learning experience! If I have to rip it apart and start again.. so be it.

I bought the block a year ago and that's when I started pulling it down! I emailed Wiseco just before posting this but I thought I would try and get a few opinions on the issue as well!

No photo unfortunately... if I have to pull it apart then I may as well play it safe and buy a whole new piston..

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Depending on how bad and where the scratch is, it should be no problem. It would have been better if you carefully polished off any raised bits resultant from the scratch.

Depending on the type of circlip, you should use circlip pliers or needle nose to insert and remove circlips. Spiroloks need a small screw driver or pick and some skill and loss of blood from finger tips.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Dan

I would not want the pin to end up loose in the piston, so very gentle polish and only over the scratch with paper wrapped around a pencil.

That is of course if it is in the pin bearing area. If it's outside the area where the pin bears, it really does not matter, just polish away. Photos would take a lot of guesswork out of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately the problem I have is that the motor is already assembled! I was about to put it in the car but it started to play on my mind so I thought I would investigate. I guess it's better being safe then sorry. If I am going to pull it apart to polish then I may as well buy a new piston and keep this one as a memento!

Honestly, the scratch was really small. The edge of the pliers slipped and nicked the side of the piston bore (bearing area) as I was positioning the spirolox. Biggest drainer... why couldn't they just use clips with eyelets so n00bs like me wouldn't screw things up!!!!

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Because circlips come out at high rpm and Spirolox do not come out.

I very much doubt the piston needs replacing but it depends on where and how big. A picture would help a lot.

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
it will be fine....
at this point in time, id say run it and if it blows up you know to be more careful next time

chances are u will never have a problem.
I think you're worrying a little too much about something pretty insignificant

Just run the motor the way it is man, it'll be fine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts