Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, recently installed a screamer pipe from external wastegate on my D16 civic, but having a few problems...

When the wastegate is not connected, my boost gauge shows about 13psi on peak boost. When the wastegate is connected, I don't think I've ever seen over 7psi all the way through.

When it's connected, at around 5k (when I should be hitting peak boost) - theres a strange noise coming from the wastegate (sounds a bit like a frog).

Any ideas on what this might be? The set up is; vac pipe out of a nipple on the side of the turbo, which is connected to a copper pipe, which leads to the side of the wastegate. There is a nipple on the top of the wastegate with nothing connected (also tried a bolt here as well which didn't change anything).

Cheers

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
What is your current engine/turbo setup?

What is your tuned peak boost level? What is normal for you?

Do you have a boost cut set? Disconnecting the wastegate from a positive pressure source is dangerous, it means you have no boost control, so technically you should skyrocket in boost (within reason) up until a boost cut or your rod is hanging out the side of the block if you're not tuned for such a high boost level.

Unless you have a very tiny turbo where it would only ever make 13 pounds of boost, then I think you've got other issues.

With a screamer pipe, you will hear all kinds of weird noises when the gate begins to crack open, which could be sinply related to the dynamics of your pipe and gate. Anything from a squeak, whistle or frog noises haha. It could be normal lol. Better than a duck call blow off valve?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,292 Posts
post pics. some of us need visuals

1 - 4 of 4 Posts