Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just recently scored a Y8 tranny for FREE. Came with the purchase of a Mugen Steering Wheel, and Momo Hub. :D Anyways the original owner says the 2nd Gear syncro was going before he uninstalled it.

Now my question is, this transmission has 140,000 KMS, what should I get done to it, before I install it? I'd really like to get it rebuilt, but we all know that could cost, an arm, and a leg. So where to start to make it more reliable, and fresh so it'll be able to handle my newly bought Stage 2 Exedy Clutch, and Exedy Flywheel. :tool:

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,687 Posts
How does he know its the 2nd Gear syncro? The only reason I ask this is because many many people have told me that syncro's don't usually go in honda trannys. Its usually the shift forks, motor mounts, or something like that.

Tranzex can clarify.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea when Exedy started making a lightened flywheel, but I have one coming. :p

Yeah I too was reading that the mounts are usually a common problem before a synchro will start to go. I would tackle it myself, but would prefer someone with the knowledge to do so. How much do you think it would cost roughly to rebuild the transmission?

Also, its actually quite dirty/greasy, any suggestions on how to degrease/clean it up?

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,687 Posts
JDM_EK3 said:
No idea when Exedy started making a lightened flywheel, but I have one coming. :p

Yeah I too was reading that the mounts are usually a common problem before a synchro will start to go. I would tackle it myself, but would prefer someone with the knowledge to do so. How much do you think it would cost roughly to rebuild the transmission?

Also, its actually quite dirty/greasy, any suggestions on how to degrease/clean it up?
You can try brillo and then repaint it... Or you can take it somplace and they can glass beat it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I spray it down with degreaser, and wash it with water? Or that wouldn't be advised? I would like to repaint it low gloss black if possible. ;)

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,687 Posts
JDM_EK3 said:
Can I spray it down with degreaser, and wash it with water? Or that wouldn't be advised? I would like to repaint it low gloss black if possible. ;)
Yeah spray it down, but plug the holes with a few rags where the half shafts go. Oh and make sure you get high temp paint.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really High Temp? IE: 1200 degrees? Or will my Duplicolour Low Gloss Black rated for 500 degrees do the job?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm how do I go about disconnecting the Shift Rod from the Tranny? He gave me his old one, but its a pile. lol

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So to get this transmission fixed, should I consider doing it myself (even though I don't have the slightest clue how to do a transmission), or should I take it to someone, and have them fix it (even though I honestly do not know what exactlys wrong with it, as he said it was the 2nd gear synchro, but who honestly knows if that is actually the issue)?

-James-

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
are you good with taking things apart and being careful about putting things back together? YES... Can you follow a Helms manual? YES...

Then do it yourself... I did mine myself and it wasn't very hard. Just make sure you have a Helms manual to follow and don't lose any of the small ball bearings :)

Having someone else do it can be VERY expensive. Transzex does it and he's probably cheaper than most, but I don't know if you're in the midwest.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
I only charge $25 per hour, no REAL shop overhead.

But to be honest, shipping a tranny is the worst part.

$60-75 each way. So $300 for shippping/ISB/1-2 fork = getting into B series area.

Y8 tranny = fun with the shifter forks and check balls!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts