Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as you know the car has been parted, and a board member just bought my built motor, so now I need a replacement. Unfortuneatly, during my stay on the forum, I have paid little to no attention to d series swap/mini me's. And believe me, I have searched, but theres just so many options, Im having a hard time figuring them all out.

What I need to know, is what d16's are interchangeable with the z6? I will be using the z6 i.m., and ecu. Im looking for a swap that will use my stock z6 wiring harness with no problems. Heres what I know:

full y7?

full y8?

Z6 head, a6 block. obviously

z6/a6 block, y7 head?

z6/a6 block, y8 head?

y8 block, z6 head?

y7 block, z6 head? Requires z6 timing belt, cam gear and crank pully, but will it work with the stock harness?

I wont be running an o2 sensor. And Im assuming using the z6 head/i.m. with any block would work fine with the stock wiring harness? And I have a socketed ecu, so I can run and stock map, but would that be necassary?

Ive had the flu for the last week or two and Im exhausted, just want to get the car done and back together...
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
you can use any d16 bottom end, but you will need the z6 head.. your ecu has vtackin yo, so you gotta use a vtec head

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can use any d16 bottom end, but you will need the z6 head.. your ecu has vtackin yo, so you gotta use a vtec head
What if I were to use a y7 head, leave the vtec plug unplugged, and burn the y7 stock map on the ecu?

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
that would work, but you have to plug up the oil hole in the block if the block originally had a vtec head. didnt know it was a chipped ecu... but it may sell better with the vtec head, and you can pick them up almost the same price as a non vtec

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alrite, thanks guys, looks like im on the hunt for a z6 head.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts