Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a CRX a few months ago that ran, but burnt oil. After further inspection I found a scratch on the #2 cylinder wall, which caused it to burn oil and not get full compression in that cylinder. The other 3 cylinders are fine.

My problem is that I'm really broke, so at the moment I can't afford to get a new block or to rebuild my block. I do have a cylinder hone and ring compressor however. So would there be any problems if I just pull the head and oil pan, pop out #2 piston, hone the cylinder and drop it right back in using the same rings and bearings?

Should I do it to all four cylinders? Thanks

Patrick

·
Registered
269 Posts
If it were me... I would pull all the pistons, hone all the cylinders, re-ring them and check the rod bearings. If the rod bearings look ok, I would assume the mains are fine. Then toss it back together. Should be able to be done for around $200. Thats for oil, head gasket, rings, etc. If you are really thrifty, you might get it done for $100. =) But don't hone and not replace the rings.

·
Registered
66 Posts
well how many miles are on the engine? if you are going to hone you can just do it to the one if you really dont want to have the down time but the best would be to do it to all them, but you would need the new rings and head gasket. but bearings wouldnt be nessicary unless you have the high milage and if you really dont wanna spend money you can replace the oil pan gasket with the rtv silicone

1 - 4 of 4 Posts