Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I'll say hello. I'm currently an owner of an '02 Si hatch with lots of goodies. But I'm planning on picking up a project car. The car is an '88 CRX. I haven't been able to drive it or really check out the car. The owner is out of town this weekend. Well, the point of this thread is to get some ideas on what I can do with this car. I'm not sure if its a DX, HF, or Si. My basic thought are a possible b-swap. But I really don't want to go f/i yet.

The engine has around 160,000 miles on it. I've seen some inexpensive ideas on getting good power (that would be a swap and turbo setup). But like I said, I don't really want to go f/i just yet. I plan on completely gutting the interior, working up the suspension. THis will be an auto-x and maybe track car.

Please lend me your knowledge and wisdom on the subject. I will also add, I'm a real newb to engines which is why I'm getting this car (hopefully). I want to do the work myself so I can get some learning experience. Thanks for your help.

-Chet

P.S. TO the mods, I wasn't sure which forum to place this in. There's not a newb forum here. If you need to move the thread I understand!!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
d-series man.. dont swap a b... do ur research and put a d engine in there...they are much more cheaper and cost effective, and fi u turbo u will get better results then if u were to swap b series... and dont forget u'll save urself a few thousand going down the d-series route. As for suspension get urself a nice spring/shock combo, or u can go with a full coilover suspension...like tien..lol quite pricey but if u want to auto x, it will make all the difference. Those are just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
russianwonder32 said:
d-series man.. dont swap a b... do ur research and put a d engine in there...they are much more cheaper and cost effective, and fi u turbo u will get better results then if u were to swap b series... and dont forget u'll save urself a few thousand going down the d-series route. As for suspension get urself a nice spring/shock combo, or u can go with a full coilover suspension...like tien..lol quite pricey but if u want to auto x, it will make all the difference. Those are just my 2 cents.

I'm glad I came here. . .All I've been hearing on the other boards is swap a B, etc., etc. I don't want to swap, I don't want F/I yet either. I want to tear this engine down and rebuild it. "cheaper and cost effective", I like that. I didn't want to spend a shitload on this car.

I appreciate your post. Thanks

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Rayden said:
I'm glad I came here. . .All I've been hearing on the other boards is swap a B, etc., etc. I don't want to swap, I don't want F/I yet either. I want to tear this engine down and rebuild it. "cheaper and cost effective", I like that. I didn't want to spend a shitload on this car.

I appreciate your post. Thanks
what's cool about building the D is there are so many different options of building it with other stock D parts.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOOHOO!! She's mine. I paid $850 for her and brought her home. The worst part are the somewhat leaky windows. I'm gonna have to fix that up right away. Nonetheless. I will be scouring this site for info on parts, upgrades, I'm wanting to keep the D, but definitely going to have to build her up. It's a DX model CRX, I was hoping for one of the other 2 models, but oh well. I'm not unhappy. . .THe owner was 31 and had the CRX since he was 16. He's responsible for approximately 130,000 of the 165,000 miles on the car. He looked like a sad puppy when I drove away. I felt kinda bad for the guy, but felt good for me!! It was actually kinda funny, he looked lost!! ;-)

THanks for the welcome. You guys will be hearing from me a lot over the next few months.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
holy shit! ... modsHXcivi... your avatar is eye-catching!

hehe... the guy's girlfriend probably forced him to sell it :)

·
Banned
939 Posts
I think the first thing you should do is decide what class you will be competing in. Some classes don't allow internal engine mods or gutting the interior. Welcome to the site.

If my CRX didn't leak somewhere.....

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lule said:
I think the first thing you should do is decide what class you will be competing in. Some classes don't allow internal engine mods or gutting the interior. Welcome to the site.

If my CRX didn't leak somewhere.....
I'm too particular about what class I'm in. I know I'll end up in S Mod 2, if I work up the engine and leave the interior. If I gut it, I'll end up in E mod, I think. Neither class is really loaded (in my regions). And its all for fun anyhow.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
for auto x-ing, i would recomend getting the si tranny for your crx, you'll need all the short gears you can get. also go with tein coil overs, got a friend with a hf and it looks really good with the teins. it's worth the money, trust me. as for the shocks maybe koni yellows. that should cover all the suspension, and for the motor, typical bolt ons, i,h,e. gut the interior and that will get you a REALLY good start on the auto-xing.

one more thing, later on down the road, you'll want some better brakes, and for that brembo blanks with some good ceremic will do ya justice, or possibly get slotted rotors.

welcome to the site and good luck with your new build

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rayden said:
WOOHOO!! She's mine. I paid $850 for her and brought her home. The worst part are the somewhat leaky windows. I'm gonna have to fix that up right away. Nonetheless. I will be scouring this site for info on parts, upgrades, I'm wanting to keep the D, but definitely going to have to build her up. It's a DX model CRX, I was hoping for one of the other 2 models, but oh well. I'm not unhappy. . .THe owner was 31 and had the CRX since he was 16. He's responsible for approximately 130,000 of the 165,000 miles on the car. He looked like a sad puppy when I drove away. I felt kinda bad for the guy, but felt good for me!! It was actually kinda funny, he looked lost!! ;-)

THanks for the welcome. You guys will be hearing from me a lot over the next few months.
I've got an 88' Si thats going to the Junk Yard this week if you need any parts I have left let me know now or shes gone!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts