Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long after we got back from our West Country trip, I helped deliver my friend's boat to the French bit of the Biscay coast.

Our first stop was in Concarneau, two and a bit days from the Solent. There's been a walled town there since Moses was in short trousers.

We sailed round to La Trinité, on an estuary just to the east of the Quiberon peninsula. It’s a sailing Mecca of sorts; there are loads of boats:-

The town itself has charm …

... and the marina is clearly built for monsters:-

Yet it’s a working port and still has a role to play in the fishing industry

Next to La Trinité is Carnac, famous for its 3000 or so megaliths.

We sailed on. We would not normally want to cross the bows of a ship this close …

… but it was doing zero knots, waiting to get into St Nazaire, and kindly held off weighing its anchor until we’d passed.

[more to follow]

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a pic of the boat you were on in some of those marina shots?
She's a J160, built on Rhode Island. I can't remember how old she is, but must be getting on for 20. She has something like 75,000 miles on her now, not many of them boring and quite a few rather more interesting than we prefer ...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My, what a big boat you have....
yes, I'm jealous

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My, what a big boat you have....
yes, I'm jealous
Pity it's not mine ...

To continue.

Although she's fitted out like a cruiser, we used to race her. These days though, we're just as likely to use her to dry out the washing:-

That picture was taken leaving L’Herbaudière, an island that feels southern.

It was surprise to find this on the island. Despite the aftermarket exhaust tips, I think it's a real one.

Finally, after a breezy night at an island anchorage, we approached La Rochelle.
The boat in the picture had no trouble with the bridge to Île de Ré, but we had to pick our way under one of the four central spans. I was at the helm at the time and concentrating – why didn’t I hand the camera over to someone to show how tight it felt from underneath? (In truth, we had 15ft to spare, but it didn’t look like it.)

The city has six different locations for leisure craft and can take more yachts than anywhere I’ve ever been. This is the old harbour.

The old lighthouse remains in good shape.

Pleasingly, classic yachts are invited to moor by the maritime museum. There’s even Bernard Moitessier’s Spray-inspired Joshua.

And when the night falls, there’s plenty of scope for a beer before you wander back to your bunk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts