Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So for the long awaited write up on safety wire that I was asked for lol

So tools needed
Safety wire .020 or .032 (i got mine from micheals lol)
Dykes
Needle nose pliers
Chanel locks
Bolts made for safety wire or a 1/16” drill bit to make your grade 8+ bolts ready for safety wire
And most importantly gloves (the wire WILL cut you)

So first thing is tq all bolts prior to wiring them
Next decide the easiest way to route the wire ie a clear straight path then route the wire through hole as seen in pic and start twisting.
A good safety will have 7-10 turns per inch;
Keep twisting until one strand will reach the hole in the second bolt
Once fed through (the tricky part this is usually when the wire will break) pull the wire tight but not too much or it will break,
Twist the wire in the opposite direction for about 2 inches, basically enough to loop it back around (look at pic for ref).
Then as in the pics loop back around

Then repeat for remaining bolt(s) needing wire

NOTE: never do more than 3 bolts in a row.
Always make sure the direction of the safety is in a “positive direction” meaning the wire will hold the bolt tight not loosen it….”lefty loosie, righty tighty”.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

this safey is bad due to the fact the wire comes straight and does not wrap the bolt, increaced chance of the wire breaking due to vibration etc.

This saftey is bad, well because it will loosen the bolts.......DUH....lol

This one because the twisted saftey is in contact with the single strand....

JUST FOR CLAIRTY A IDEAL SAFTEY LOOKS LIKE THIS

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
925 Posts
awesome right up Rep for you!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you should have seen some of the places i had to do this.....on the + side i can do it pretty fast now lol

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I can't imagine working in aviation and having to do this to every single fastener.
it wasnt one every SINGLE fastener.... some of them were snap/quick release fasteners :lol:

nice thread.

as always i am going interject something negative. i suggest before you start drilling all your bolts, you sit down and actually practice this.... and then have someone, who knows what they are doing, double check your work. after a few "passing" grades, start on the car. i have seen people at "local meets" with what looked like a birds nest of wire. the key is not who is the fastest, its doing it right the first time.

side note: even though i can safety wire, i refuse to. i have been stabbed way to many times. i rather just use lock washers then deal with the wire. the note of safety by the OP is dead on. your going to get cut/stabbed if your not wearing gloves.

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
^Yeah but I had lock washers holding my turbo to my mani and they didn't lock for shit. Heat distorts them or something. Nuts backed off after a week of driving.

I replaced them with stover locknuts and it's been good ever since.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
just use some cheap bolts, that way when they rust, they wont vibrate themselves out :)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Im sure you may already know but they make some sweet ass pliers for lacing wire. It makes life a lot easier when you gotta do a shit ton of bolts.
this is the tool he is referring to:

6" Safety Wire Twister

have to be careful not to "over twist" the wire using them. <- i was known for making 12-14 twists per inch when i was first learning how to do it. try doing 100 bolts 10 times cause you mess up one bolt half way through!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im sure you may already know but they make some sweet ass pliers for lacing wire. It makes life a lot easier when you gotta do a shit ton of bolts.
yes i do know of them but honestlly i despise them, they actually weaken the wire at the point into the second bolt.....imho its easier to do by hand.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
did you know you spelled safety wire, in the title, wrong?

just being an ass :lol: :tt2:
lol no i didnt actually......stupid typos

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have never had a problem with the wire weakening from using the pliers. But I will keep that in mind. It starts to become a pain in the ass twisting it by hand when you have to do 80 bolts in a row like on a tank engine:pinch:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts