Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the safest spray shot on a stock d series block? eventually im going to build up the D but its always good to make some power before XD

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
I ran 75 on a stock z6 for a year and never had a problem. bumped it up to 100 for a few months with no problem. bumped it up to 125 for one night and destroyed a piston

but if you dont have any experience with nitrous or tuning i wouldnt go over a 50. start out with a low shot. like a 30 and work your way up slowly. check your plugs often, invest in a wideband, and learn to use your ems well and you'll be alright

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Toss in a set of BKR7Es or R5671As, fill it with premium, throw a 75 shot at it. It'll take it. The clutch probably won't if it's stock.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Shit spray in general is ghetto, IMO.

You know you can find Turbo kits on craigslist for 5-600. Close to a Nitrous set up.

Read up on how to use a butt dyno and I think that would be "Safer"

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I COMPLETELY disagree.

Most people dont understand how nitrous works or how to setup a nitrous system in a way to make is safe and effective. This goes for the companies making the nitrous kits as well.
The way people are running nitrous hasnt changed much from when it first hit the market in the 70s. Imagine if turbo kits hadnt changed since then? People would still be non-intercooled with no wastegates using exhaust restriction to control boost.

Youre going to be power limited by the rods with nitrous just as you would be with boost, assuming that you dont have detonation. Thats the trick, and thats the difference between a good nitrous setup and a bad one, detonation.
You have a manifold that was never designed to have fuel in it and youre trying to feed 4 cylinders with equal amounts of fuel and nitrous from a single nozzle. Its a recipe for disaster.
With a small shot, its okay if the distribution is awful because you have enough headroom to not melt a piston. But then you go up to a 100 shot and youve got 40% of that shot going into one cylinder, or one cylinder thats the fuel is not reaching because its dropping out into the manifold, suddenly youre melting pistons.

As far as Im concered, there are 2 ways to do nitrous on a Honda
1) 50-75 shot dry using adjusted fuel pressure (ZEX dry kit)
2) 100+ shot direct port dry with tuning for fuel and ignition retard

·
Registered
53 Posts
I COMPLETELY disagree.

Most people dont understand how nitrous works or how to setup a nitrous system in a way to make is safe and effective. This goes for the companies making the nitrous kits as well.
The way people are running nitrous hasnt changed much from when it first hit the market in the 70s. Imagine if turbo kits hadnt changed since then? People would still be non-intercooled with no wastegates using exhaust restriction to control boost.

Youre going to be power limited by the rods with nitrous just as you would be with boost, assuming that you dont have detonation. Thats the trick, and thats the difference between a good nitrous setup and a bad one, detonation.
You have a manifold that was never designed to have fuel in it and youre trying to feed 4 cylinders with equal amounts of fuel and nitrous from a single nozzle. Its a recipe for disaster.
With a small shot, its okay if the distribution is awful because you have enough headroom to not melt a piston. But then you go up to a 100 shot and youve got 40% of that shot going into one cylinder, or one cylinder thats the fuel is not reaching because its dropping out into the manifold, suddenly youre melting pistons.

As far as Im concered, there are 2 ways to do nitrous on a Honda
1) 50-75 shot dry using adjusted fuel pressure (ZEX dry kit)
2) 100+ shot direct port dry with tuning for fuel and ignition retard
I been running Spry for years now on my Auto civic, I agree with everything you say exect for one thing. Do not use the dry kit, I would get the wet kit, you'll make a little more power and it is safer

·
Will Do Handstands For Pussy!!!
Civic
2,875 Posts
Epic fail.

Nitrous is much like turbo...if you cheap out you get shit and can fuck shit up...if you spend the money and do it RIGHT its just as safe and damn near just as powerful.

I been running Spry for years now on my Auto civic, I agree with everything you say exect for one thing. Do not use the dry kit, I would get the wet kit, you'll make a little more power and it is safer
Full of fail, You can make the same amount of hp on both. People that are running dry are converting to wet because now since they released a unit that in a nut shell is like boost by gear 75 shot in first 125 shot in second and 200 shot 3rd n 4th ect. I am running a DRY direct port on my car, if you have hondata S300 it will control EVERYTHING. Engaging, rpm window switch, fuel, timing ect. The world record for a Nitrous B-series is on a dry shot...so please do some reading.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts