Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im thinking about going the forced induction route in a couple months. My question is what should i do to the block, what kind of turbo should i run and how much boost should i run to keep it a reliable dd. Its a y8 motor with about 105k on it now. I was thinking about a greddy or autoworks kit, but then i thought instead of running it on the stock block, i might as well build once and do it right the first time. Just want to know what my limitations are. Im just looking for something that can maybe be a 12 or 13 sec car but it has to be relaible dd and get somewhat good fuel milage. Maybe 300hp or so. Just as long as its reliable. I was thinking about dropping around 5grand into it. Appreciate any input.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah ive been looking through the stickys for some time, but i wasnt sure if i could build it up for 300hp and still keep it a reliable dd. Also what should i do about my tuning. Unfortunetly i live in ny so i prob will have to keep my obd2 ecu in there.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
u cant really tune with obd2. your best bet is to buy a coversion harness to go to obd1. get a chipped p28 and run ostrich on crome. still gonna need a local tuner to set it up for u. the tuning is the key in making it reliable. fuel milage is gonna depend on your foot. u will barely be in boost with everyday driving. another tuning route is to go with the s300 by hondata. a little more pricy though. but for 5 grand u should be able to fully build your motor plus turbo it and have money for tuning left over.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i am pretty sure you will need a stand-alone e-manage for tuning since you need to stay obd2.

or you can make friends with the mechanics at a private inspection place.

im in NJ, so i'm in the same boat with emissions. im running the "afc hack" for now. im canvassing for the 5spd swap and then probably convert.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the tuning thing is what im really worried about. I figured there must be ways around it but wasnt too sure. I was thinking about do a kit like the edlebrock or the others but then i thought if i was gonna do it how much more would it cost to build the motor for more boost. 5 grand may seem like a lot but i will prob have a shop doing everything, since i dont have the time, nor the experience.

·
Registered
21 Posts
make sure that you get a quality kit.. since you are planning to have the shop do it, the better the kit, the less you have to pay the shop. I had a shop install my kit. i really wanted to do it myself, but i don't have all the tools. the mechanic at the shop said the kit i got was one of the best he has seen. everything bolted up properly. he only really had to lengthen the wires for the oxygen sensors.

oh, FYI, with most kits, you will probably replace some of the parts. yeah it will work out of the box, but now there are some better options. i also picked up all the loose ends myself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey, secretd16turbo
What kit did you kit and if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost to have it installed?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just looking more at the edelbrock kit, it seems to be a quality kit. I would just prefer more power though. Does anyone have this and what do you think.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey, secretd16turbo
What kit did you kit and if you dont mind me asking how much did it cost to have it installed?
i picked up the Turbo Specialties Superior kit for the D16. They had an extreme kit which looks pretty complete and ball bearing upgrades, but it was out of my budget.

the shop charged me about $400. Keep in mind that this is w/o the intercooler. I am saving up for that. I'm planning to do a custom setup.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Change to obd 1, their are tons of great tuning places all over NY

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would love to change to obd1 but its not that im worried about tuning that, its tuning the obd2 cuz in ny you have to have the obd2 ecu in the car for inspection cuz it reads the ecu for codes. If it reads codes then the car wont pass. Im not sure of any way around it. Ny sucks! damnit

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
no legal way around it, inspect a different car and snag the sticker.

·
Registered
21 Posts
no legal way around it, inspect a different car and snag the sticker.
:TU:

I would love to change to obd1 but its not that im worried about tuning that, its tuning the obd2 cuz in ny you have to have the obd2 ecu in the car for inspection cuz it reads the ecu for codes. If it reads codes then the car wont pass. Im not sure of any way around it. Ny sucks! damnit
im sure you've got friends or friends of friends in the scene. you gotta wonder how they are gettin stickers for rides you absolutely know for a fact would fail inspection. ask your friends to hook you up. when is your inspection due anyway? if it's soon, then just get the inspection sticker before you install the stuff. if ny is like nj, then you got 2 yrs to find a shop that will pass you.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
head:
zex cam
mild porting

what is the zex cam number i cant find it i lost the link that i had for it can some1 help me out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts