Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know, my 96 hatch has the apexi turbo kit on it.

I use the car a lot, and want to adjust a little bit the af ratios for gas saving but on a safe way, I don´t want to broke ring lands or damage my stock y7 engine.

At this moment the afr´s out of boost and partial throttle are on 14.5´s, leaning to 15.5 it´s safe???

·
Registered
91 CRX HF
1,040 Posts
Should be fine. At cruise mine runs anywhere from 15:1 to 16:1. It's been running fine for over a year now. You won't notice much difference in mileage from 14.5 to 15.0. Just make sure it's not too lean under load. (if your accelerating it should be 14.7 or richer) You will probably see a bigger difference if you can tune the timing for fuel mileage.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
omfg newb get a fuel magnet and a tornado intake swirler...

i was gonna say between 15.5 and 16

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: Kyred

·
Registered
91 CRX HF
1,040 Posts
Well, if your running premium fuel, You would most likely need to add timing if the vacuum portion of your ignition tune is still stock, but the only real way to know is to put it on a loaded dyno and tune it. I tweaked my timing here and there and got decent results, but every car is different.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
You generally want to advance your timing when running lean mixtures in order to get it to burn well enough to keep the engine spinning. If you had a muuuuuuuch stronger ignition (distributorless with at least two coils), it would be much easier to run even leaner than that. There is a lot more to it than just advancing the timing, but, you can play around with it pretty safely. So, general rule of thumb: the leaner you go (NOT UNDER LOAD, cruise ONLY), the more advanced the ignition will want to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts