Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a bit of a repost from my build thread, but in doing research I found a slight mention of this and hope to confirm it.

If anyone sees anything incorrect below please feel free to correct me!

It looks like the s8g flywheel is slightly different than the rest of the d-series transmissions. The crank bolt pattern is the same, but the outer bolt spacing is different.

Unfortunately, I have a rebuilt del sol (d16y7 engine), so I can't say if this transmission came off a 92+ or a pre-91 car. I know the d16zc came with the s8g transmission, but it also looks like the 96+ del sol si (d16y8) also potentially had the s8g, whereas the 96+ civic EX with a d16y8 engine came with an s40 B000 transmission.

I've got a new clutch kit, including pressure plate, and I can't get the pressure plate on the flywheel:

I tried to fit up the new pressure plate to the old flywheel, and it does not align. There are 6 possible clockings (6 bolt holes), and I tried each possible one with no luck. It appears the spacing on the bolt holes is different:

Here are the markings. s8g and H5D are not markings im as familiar with.

Here are the dimensions and markings from the old flywheel and clutch. The spacing on the bolt holes center to center appears to be 9 and 1/16 inches.

The new pressure plate appears to be 9 and 1/4 inches center to center.

I might invest in a new lightweight flywheel after all, just to ensure I get the new outer bolt pattern. I believe the crank bolt pattern is the same between both flywheels.

Any insight is very much appreciated.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Honda did throw some "smaller" flywheels on the obd2 civic hatchbacks but it was pretty rare they did, I want to say it was on the economy model. But it could just be the clutch you have, what brand did you get?

You can also measure the width of the flywheel mating surface where the clutch makes contact with the flywheel, it should be 210-212mm~. If the clutch is the problem then a new flywheel won't solve the problem but a new flywheel is fairly cheap and you should either have a new one or at least get the one you have resurfaced if it is indeed a 210-212mm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speedfactory had a lightweight flywheel in stock, and I'm fortunate enough to work nearby, so I swung over and fit my pressure plate up to it. Fits perfectly, and they cut me a good deal on it.

All indications are that the crank pattern is the same across all flywheels. I'll post here again if I run into any further issues, but I think this solves the problem. Still no idea which stock flywheel I have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.