Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an s40 transmission w/3.722 FD and swapped the countershaft and ring gear from a 4.25 tranny. With everything in place I lower the case but it will not sit flush before opening the snap ring. I took the tranny to a local mechanic that works with hondas and he says everything is assembled correctly but it still will not sit flush.

Any help will be appreciated to help sort this out.

I changed the ISB, top of mainshaft bearing, two bearings on top of countershaft and differential bearings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean with "slider" a selector?

This is my first time opening a transmission.

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
750 Posts
In my case the 5th gear slider/selector and sinchro jammed, causing the mainshaft forks to out of position enough to keep the casing from closing all the way.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
How big is the gap?

Even with the snap ring expanded over the countershaft bearing, no Honda D, B, or K case will sit exactly flush due to the mainshaft thrust washer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How big is the gap?

Even with the snap ring expanded over the countershaft bearing, no Honda D, B, or K case will sit exactly flush due to the mainshaft thrust washer.
It seems there was a syncro ring improperly installed preventing the bearing from fully entering. now the countershaft will not lock in the snap ring by a few milimeters. The mechanic will check the countershaft today. hopefully I will get the tranny today.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
5th gear MS assembly got dislodged. To lock in the CS ring, flip over the trans once case is bolted together, gravity will do the work.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I've always bumped mine on the ground against a few phone books. Turning them over might not always seats them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts