Honda D Series Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
It may not look like it in the picture but the top of the CSB is flush with the surrounding part of the transmission.

You're referring to the snap ring, right? I didn't get it on when I bench shifted, however, I was able to shift into reverse. There are three "roll" positions of the shift linkage: \ l / if that makes sense. The first position: \ is for 1st and 2nd gear. Let's just say that it needs to roll 30* to move the interlock over enough to either select 1st or 2nd. What's happening is the shift linkage is only rolling 10* or some arbitrarily smaller degree. This happens with both the case off and on.

So this made me look at what would be stopping the linkage from rolling enough. Right away I could see that the interlock guide needed to be able to move over (in the pictures, left) more. I then compared the old interlock guide and new one and saw that there is a slight difference as depicted in the pictures. This discrepancy, it seems, is what is causing the inability of the shift linkage to roll enough.

Which bolt are you referring to? The interlock bolt in the picture? All bolts are torqued to spec.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmm.....i wonder if you got an interlock for an s20. The s40 has a different angle.

If its the s20 you will not be able to get it into 1st or 2nd...wont go over far enough

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I've gotten in 3rd-5th and reverse just fine but not 1st and 2nd.

Aquafina, if you can see in the picture above, would that very slight "discrepancy" be the cause of the interlock not being able to slide over enough? If so, could it be ground down without affecting the integrity of the guide?

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Actually the early s20 were different .... they since changed them both to the s40 one and superceded the part number with the s40 one.....

Do the 2 you have look the same or are they different?
Can you verify that the early s20's were different?

I have pictures posted illustrating the slight difference.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I ground the interlock down a little bit and tried bench shifting again. I got into all gears, although reverse took quite a bit of effort.

I think it's done! I hope I don't mess something up between now and the time it's in my car.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I still do not have my transmission together. I just have not had time. Everything shifts fine, albeit reverse is quite hard to get into (usually the case with reverse?) The transmission in my car (A000) is adequate enough, not ideal, but at least it works.

So I have been thinking, while I have good transmission apart, would it be worth it to install an LSD? I know now would be an ideal time since the transmission is out of the car, but I need to justify a $700 transmission part.

My car gets 278whp/224ftlbs. This is more of a street car but I do enjoy drag racing, autocross, track racing etc. when I get the chance.

I do get torque steer in first and second gears. I lose traction if I try to but I do a fairly good job of controlling traction.

Sorry if this is such a broad question and has different relative/proportionate values for each individual. I just have never driven a Honda with an LSD.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I am really considering it. It may be an over-the-winter "project."

I was on an on-ramp for a highway in second gear and I lost traction on one tire. I'm assuming this is because of the lack of LSD (in the transmission). It made the merge so much less fun haha.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I have finally installed this transmission into my car. The carbon synchros make the shifts so smooth and the short gears are great! Thank you to everyone that helped in this endeavor. Rep to those that I can!

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
For the record, this was only a partial rebuild. I did not replace things like the gear or sliders except for the broken one. If I were to do it again, I would replace the shift forks as well as install an LSD.

The reason for this is that second gear still pops out from time to time. I did replace the CSB and staked it in but to no avail. I have read that a worn 1-2 shift fork can cause this problem.

It was my first transmission rebuild and it took longer than I would have liked. Then again, there were a few months were I didn't work on it at all.

Someday I may rebuild on of my spare transmissions from my parts car. We will see!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts