Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I oiled the mechanisms liberally. The sleeve still take a considerable amount of force to slide fully down the hub. This is regardless of whether the hub/sleeve are on the mainshaft or not i.e. this is not the fault of the synchro/ring/gear/mainshaft. Also, once the sleeve is pushed down over the hub, it takes an equal, if not greater, force to pull it back up. I can take pictures tomorrow morning, but if it helps, it is setup exactly as the manual states.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
just tossing this out there...

this looks to me like it is fractured and may grenade, soon...

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yep that's the problem. I just looked at it and the side with the crack is the side that won't let the sleeve slide over. Looks like I need to buy a new 5th hub and sleeve.

Thank you everyone, especially 4Door, for your help. I'll keep you updated!

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
just tossing this out there...

this looks to me like it is fractured and may grenade, soon...
good eye! totally didnt see that the first time

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I received the synchro hub and sleeve from transzex:

I slides perfectly!

I tried to bench shift (with the case off, but the interlock guide bolt in) and I could get into 3rd, 4th, and 5th just fine, but not reverse, 1st, or 2nd.

Here's what the interlock looked like when I tried shifting into 1st and 2nd :

It seems to not go over enough but I cannot even move it over further by hand. What would cause this?

Reverse, when I try to shift into it, the interlock doesn't go up and I cannot try to move it up further with my hand. Again, what would cause this?

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Here's a few more pictures:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,533 Posts
Ever hear me mention that I don't try to bench shift with the cases apart?

Not gonna happen as the shafts wiggle around, you need to support your shaft with the other case half :)

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
^^^ supporting your "shaft" is key :)

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have heard you (and others) say that but wanted to make sure before I put the case back together. It took me an hour to get the snap ring over the corresponding bearing! Lol

As I've said before, you two have been integral to this "rebuild" and I find my singular point of reputation inadequate. Please rep each other, if you can, as that would be a better reflection of your worth.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I had the case on and I tried shifting. I could get into 5th, 4th and 3rd just fine and with some more effort, I got into reverse. I couldn't twist the shift linkage enough to get into 1st or 2nd though. It felt blocked, like how it was in the picture above. It seems to be a problem with the interlock setup, as I did replace the interlock guide, so I'm sure I messed something up.

As a note, I didn't snap the snap ring in place, but I did have the cases fully flush with eachother and 2 bolts installed hand tight. I really am trying to avoid having to deal with that snap ring as much as possible! lol

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,533 Posts
what is so hard about the snap ring?

Interlock guide bolt cannot be installed until the CS is locked in.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
And would all that affect the amount that the shift linkage can twist to select 1st and 2nd?

I must not be spreading the snap ring enough because even with a snap ring tool it doesn't seem to expand enough.

The bend in on the interlock guide seems to be a more aggressive bend than the original. Photo bucket is malfunctioning right now so I can't show you.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
imageshack.com is your friend...

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Here is what I was trying to illustrate:

The new interlock guide seems to not let the interlock slide over enough to enable 1st or 2nd to be selected. If I were to grind down the interlock guide, would that make it too weak?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Were you able to get the clip on?....that csb does not look seated all the way.

That clip really needs to go on and seat the cs before you start bench shifting.

How tight is that bolt? You didnt go ape shit on it.....did you?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts