Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my built engine swap I decided to take apart the transmission to replace the ISB and CSB. I was able to get them replaced alright but it wasn't until the transmission was in my car two weeks ago that I realized that I was locked out of every gear.

So I pulled the transmission out and swapped in my parts car's A000 transmission. Aside from the long gears, there is horrid bearing noises, so loud that sometimes it downs out my exhaust.

Therefore, I decided to have another go at my s40 B000 EX transmission.

I realized that I messed up the whole interlock guide bolt deal. I grinded the crushed lip back so that the guide slot would be flush:

This enabled me to benchshift but I still couldn't get into (I think) 3rd and 4th gear. Whatever this synchro/hub is for, the one at the top:

Upon disassembly, I find this:

And:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I do remember these things coming apart the first time I worked on the transmission. I deduce that I put them back together incorrectly i.e. the hub slider (name?) not lined up correctly with the hub.

Here they are put together correctly:

And the hub slider closeup if you need to check it out too:

And the hub:

Any help will be greatly appreciated! I can take more pictures if they are needed.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If the brass synchro and the spring ring are the issue, where could I get them? Majestic sells the synchro, spring ring, hub, and slider all as a set (#9) for $140 or so. I don't think I'd need the slider and hub, right?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,546 Posts
5th gear slider is upside down, even if you didn't mash the blocker ring you still would have never got into 5th gear.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh dear, upside down lol I would do that.

The hub only goes into the slider one way and will not continue sliding over the hub past a certain point. Is that correct? I see now how the service manual depicts the correct orientation.

So what do I need to replace? Obviously the spring ring. I would assume the synchro would need to be replaced as well, but let me know what you think because I really don't know. The slider and hub seem fine.

Is it possible to just buy the spring ring and the synchro as opposed to the whole ring, synchro, slider, and hub set?

·
Premium Member
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Replace the synchro and synchro spring. Replace the interlock as well.

Can't buy the synchro/spring alone from Honda. If you want a carbon-lined synchro 3-5 set is $155 shipped, 1-5 is $230 shipped. Springs aren't included. Add an extra $10 for the 5th spring only.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replace the synchro and synchro spring. Replace the interlock as well.

Can't buy the synchro/spring alone from Honda. If you want a carbon-lined synchro 3-5 set is $155 shipped, 1-5 is $230 shipped. Springs aren't included. Add an extra $10 for the 5th spring only.
Thanks! So I'll buy the interlock from Honda (unless you have that) and I'll get the 3-5 carbon lined synchros + 5th spring for $165 from you. I'll PM you.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I was in the middle of installing the Carbon synchros from Aquafina and I ran into an issue when it came to the 5th sychro/hub/ring/slider.

In this picture (I know the slider is not on, this is for illustration purposes) the tooth on the synchro looks like it should lock into place in the hub. However, the hub (installed the correct way) doesn't seem to be able to go down far enough. So this happens:

Here is the syncro and hub as they would be, viewed from the top:

The slider slides down fine enough but on the way up, it drags the spring ring up with it. The spring ring would end up in this orientation:

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EDIT I realized that I interpreted the Helm's manual diagram for the orientation of the hub incorrectly. I have it upside down in the picture. However, with the hub oriented correctly, it is insanely hard for the sleeve to slide up. Is this normal?

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
u sure you have the sleeve oriented correctly? i didnt notice the sleeve had a two spots where it had to be on the hub, when mine wasnt on the correct spot it was very hard to install on the hub, once i found this out the sleeve engages easily. just a thought.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Every 120* there are long teeth on the hub and deep groves on the slider. I know that they need to go together, but are you saying that there is only one particular orientation? I tried each orientation and it still won't slide like it should.

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
no you got it, thats how i did mine. i dunno maybe aqua or bones has some more input. hope you get it fixed :TU:

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Is the slider not supposed to slide that much? Or does it indeed slide as much as, say, the 3-4 slider? The Helm's manual seems to dictate that the hub goes on the mainshaft first, and then the sleeve. Is this correct? If so, then the sleeve seems to be able to move up much more than it can move down. I barely move down, which I would think it would need to to engage with the synchro.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,546 Posts
Oil is a wonderful thing, use some lube!

Without it you can jam the synchro on the gear cone and it ain't gonna move.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Ex Turbo
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So once it is oiled up, the sleeve will be able to slide down over the synchro and onto the little teeth on the 5th gear, correct? Currently the sleeve slides freely up and off the hub, but not down over the synchro. I have the hub and sleeve in the correct orientation as dictated by the Helm's manual.

I was hoping you'd respond!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts