Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fellow shop buddy has been pushing me to change from the stone age crome and go with s300. I have been reluctant to change.(stubborn german) I do admit boost by gear would be nice to have though. I am here to ask some input on this.... what is all involved in making it work correctly? Just s300 and a re-tune? or is there more involved? Also, what are the other "gains" from having s300 compared to crome? I can get the s300 for cost here at my local shop and I think I would need a new virgin p28 ecu. Enlighten me friends on why I should switch.... :)

Setup is: d16y8, vitara/eagle build, 50 trim Bullseye @23lbs. 93oct....
Power numbers since last tune Aug 15' 328whp/258tq.....

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
The ecu should just need to be resolder. Crome and neptune use a snap in connector with female part on the ecu.
Hondata uses a male part on the ecu.
Also it docks into the dataloging port if i remember correctly.
Either way you dont need a new ecu just resolder what you got.

And boost by gear needs a mac solenoid to control boost.
The. Its all program in the ecu.

If you have no problem with spinning in gear then boost by gear probably wont do much for you.

And yea once you get it all setup. Just port your map over and retune from there.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ecu should just need to be resolder. Crome and neptune use a snap in connector with female part on the ecu.
Hondata uses a male part on the ecu.
Also it docks into the dataloging port if i remember correctly.
Either way you dont need a new ecu just resolder what you got.

And boost by gear needs a mac solenoid to control boost.
The. Its all program in the ecu.

If you have no problem with spinning in gear then boost by gear probably wont do much for you.

And yea once you get it all setup. Just port your map over and retune from there.
Okay great, any personal experience with it? What boost levels would one recommend for the first couple gears? 7....10 max?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Okay great, any personal experience with it? What boost levels would one recommend for the first couple gears? 7....10 max?
No hands on.
I ran crome back in the day, then aem fic piggy back and i now run neptune which is pretty much neck and neck with hondata.
Neptune does alot of the same stuff as hondtay.

And for boost by gear just up the boost till it slips then back down a psi or 2.

I have all the stuff to do boost by gear with neptune but dont see the need for it for me , i Feather The throttle if it starts to slip but i also i need a new clutch.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slip my mind.
https://www.hondata.com/tech-s300-boost-control

He will still need kit. Its like $8. Very easy to install and who ever os switching the ecu from crome to hondata will be able to install ot easy

Edit
Ah they went up on the price, or maybebi was looking on ebay
PWM Boost Control Component Kit|HA Motorsports
awesome, thank you for the feedback and info. Other than boost by gear, are there any real benefits from hondata and crome? anything notable as being superior as far as overall tuning software goes?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
New S300 has a lot of features that are pretty bad ass. If you are happy with it how it is now, I would leave it, imho.

#1 coolest thing is traction control.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New S300 has a lot of features that are pretty bad ass. If you are happy with it how it is now, I would leave it, imho.

#1 coolest thing is traction control.
I guess I don't track it enough to make it feel like it would be worth the hassle/money... I guess if the overall tuning aspect is close I might just leave it for now....

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Its more of a street thing to me, traction control... very useful with street tires.
Doesnt it take a long time to setup traction controll?
I heard you gotta do alot of pulls and see how fast the rpms clim then find out what a slip looks like and stuff.
But idk just asking i never messed with TC.
awesome, thank you for the feedback and info. Other than boost by gear, are there any real benefits from hondata and crome? anything notable as being superior as far as overall tuning software goes?
If your not lacking now in your setup.
Then you might not gain much.
I can say the idle and close loop might be a bit better, but cant just say it will be a complete night and day.
Your gain bluetooth datalogging tho with the nee hondata and tunerlog app.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate all the input guys... I will table this for the time being and focus on a few other aspects of the car. But this is definitely something to think about for future tuning...

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Also try looking into an electronic boost controller like the greddy or Turbosmart eboost. There's always going to have the pros and cons. I have the s300, but still may use the eboost.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can do a cheap dual stage boost with a normally open or closed solenoid teed around the boost controller. So when you activate it it'll direct the vacuum hoses to go through or around the boost controller. I use a solenoid I got off of ebay for around 10 bucks.
Do you have any pics of this? Im curious to see how it looks...

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Do you have any pics of this? Im curious to see how it looks...
Google "dual stage manual boost controller"
It simply sets up a high low boost setup.

I.e. 10psi on low 15psi on high. Flip a switch to pick what psi you run.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Google "dual stage manual boost controller"
It simply sets up a high low boost setup.

I.e. 10psi on low 15psi on high. Flip a switch to pick what psi you run.
Ahhh so leave the boost controller in the first couple gears(without flipping it) then once you get to say 3rd gear, then flip the switch and then your at full boost? Do a lot of people run this? I don't think ive really seen much of this in person...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts