Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my local shop sold me s2000 filter because they say its better for turbo cars. the seals are the exact same on both oem filters. the filter is noticeably bigger. wondering if anyone else has used s2000 oil filter for our engines? just by looking at the size difference im worried about there not being enough room for installation.

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
Levi are you referring to using the Mitsu or S2000 filter?
sorry, s2k filter. I bought a case of them not long ago and use them on all 3 cars.

·
Registered
89 mini me hatch
226 Posts
For what its worth the newer Nissan maxima/350z oil filters will fit Hondas to. I put these on several B-series and it resulted in vtec hitting better. Smaller filter though. I even used one on a D16y8 and made a very noticable difference in vtecs crossover. He went from not knowing it was there to wanting to know why his car sounded different. Oil pressure change did it I guess. I used to work at Valvoline Oil Change and experimented a few times. i ran the newer TSX filters on my LS swap.

·
formerly Kit88
ek hatch
6,233 Posts
I´m running s2k filter on my car

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
I am actually going to be switching to a different filter here after cutting open a s2k filter and comparing it to a nippon filter. the nippon is the smaller filter, it has larger holes inside and the filter element seems to look a little better after 3000 miles. not to mention the cost is $3.50 each. I have used these before but for the most part I was just buying the oem s2k filters because i was getting a good deal on them.

It is part number 15400-PLM-A01

I wish I had my camera when the filters were cut open.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
make sure its the one thats made in japan ( Toyo Roki and Tennex ).
they have the better media paper inside than the ones made in Canada and USA.
Canada and USA ones are basically a restamped fram filter.
but for the price of $6.15 retail for the s2000 filters, you can go with something like a Bosch or stp filter that is a much better filter and cost less.
best filters are the mobile-1, and amsoil filters. but not much better than the bosch / stp filters. mobile-1 and amsoil filters go for around 11 bucks.
Bosch and stp around $5.00
i run Bosch in mine

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
make sure its the one thats made in japan ( Toyo Roki and Tennex ).
they have the better media paper inside than the ones made in Canada and USA.
Canada and USA ones are basically a restamped fram filter.
but for the price of $6.15 retail for the s2000 filters, you can go with something like a Bosch or stp filter that is a much better filter and cost less.
best filters are the mobile-1, and amsoil filters. but not much better than the bosch / stp filters. mobile-1 and amsoil filters go for around 11 bucks.
Bosch and stp around $5.00
i run Bosch in mine
i ran mobile 1 one time, and i was quite satisfied with the results.. one thing i did notice was on the package it said it elliminates "dry starts", and i noticed that as soon as i turned the key, i had instant oil pressure, but when using the fram, it takes about 2-3 sec before my oil pressure guage jumps up.. so i can say from personal exp. that mobile 1 is a great filter.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
the mobile-1, stp, and Bosch filters also have a stiffer spring than the oem filters to help prevent leakage and bypass under high pressure.
really for the money you cant go wrong with the stp filter

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
After metal shavings in my Mobil-1 filters(yes, plural), I'll be sticking with Wix or Bosch. There were a bunch more on the shelves with metal shavings from the threading. I checked another Advance Auto about 100mi away and they had the same shavings. Don't know if they still have that issue.

It's not bad, you can pretty much pull out the shavings, but this type of quality issue is unacceptable IMO. I pretty much bought one with the least amount of shavings in it, but the other ones had thick shavings.

·
Registered
BMX bike
2,938 Posts
this thread needs to be merged with the other oil filter thread

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
For what its worth the newer Nissan maxima/350z oil filters will fit Hondas to. I put these on several B-series and it resulted in vtec hitting better. Smaller filter though. I even used one on a D16y8 and made a very noticable difference in vtecs crossover. He went from not knowing it was there to wanting to know why his car sounded different. Oil pressure change did it I guess. I used to work at Valvoline Oil Change and experimented a few times. i ran the newer TSX filters on my LS swap.
I'm realy glad I came across this post while searching. Solved the VTEC fluctuation issue I got when I started boosting. now my engine pulls smooth all the way to redline.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts