Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Platform: 1994 4 Door EX Sedan | D16Z6 with S20 Transmission | 120 WHP Mustang Dyno Tuned and Crome chipped | I/H/E | (Hoping for 200WHP Turbo Someday)

Goal: MFactory 3/5 And Helical LSD. (Original 3rd gear flipped and used as 4th)​

Since this is an expensive goal for me, I have decided to take it in steps whenever I can afford it.

So far, I have ordered an MFactory 1.565 3rd and Seal kit from Aquafina.

I recently replaced my Input Shaft Bearing and the transmission is quiet and shifts nicely IMO, So I held off on ordering the bearing set (for now anyway)

Hopefully I can get a lot of pictures and before and after videos.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is what I am armed with ↓ (I have never disassembled a gear stack yet, so I hope this will be sufficient).

#1 Resource

And the Tools ↓⬇

In this thread, "these ↑" are the only tools he uses for a full rebuild; link here

I think these vernier calipers ↓ (or micrometers) are needed to match the old 3rd to the old 4th thickness for machining

If anything is really worn out, I have this spare ↓ that worked fine besides the cursed bad Input Shaft Bearing noise. (I think)

Note to self: washers, friction dampers, and the counter shaft nut. Those parts are not supposed to be reused.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If everything goes well, this is what I'm looking at for now.
New 3rd: ~25% Gain of "virtual torque/ETE"
New 4th: ~37% Gain of "virtual torque/ETE"

ETE: Engine Torque Equivalent (How much torque an engine with a stock transmission will need in order to accelerate at the same rate)

Math Equation:
New gear ratio minus old gear ratio = A
Old gear ratio divided by A = B
100 divided by B = ETE (%Gain)

Or click this link to calculate percent increase :D

↓ 3rd/4th Mfactory Modified Transmission vs. Stock Transmission ↓ (The gears that stay the same just take the Blue Color :/ ...)

Here's a link to MFactory's site if you want to read more about ETE
Here's a link to MFactory's Gear Calulator

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I take it bone doesn't use a press because it probably isn't necessary

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
I take it bone doesn't use a press because it probably isn't necessary
It does make life easier, but things can be done old school. A little heat does wonders!

Also it seems 88-91 gears come off the shafts a lot easier than newer stuff. "car_freak66's" mainshaft everything just slide right off, too easy in fact. If a newbie wasn't paying attention it would be easy to get the 5th gear slider/hub misaligned or damage a synchro tab....

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
That's going to be one hella of an rpm drop into 5th.

·
Registered
Del Sol EH6
173 Posts
I'm very curious how it will work with 200wph. I currently drive with this set on 170hp n/a, and I love it! But I'm know building a turbo set up with the goal of 275wph, and I'm wondering if the gear ratios will be too short? (I'm using an 3.788 FD).

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm very curious how it will work with 200wph. I currently drive with this set on 170hp n/a, and I love it! But I'm know building a turbo set up with the goal of 275wph, and I'm wondering if the gear ratios will be too short? (I'm using an 3.788 FD).

This guy has the 4.25 final drive and the 3/5 from Mfactory. If i remember correctly, this car is right around 150 WHP. Watching him drive all out, I think it could use the extra 50 whp (especially in 5th gear) and not be too short....

275 WHP though... I dunno.. your final drive is longer so that could help...

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Looks like a fun build. Nice start bro.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts