Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend gave me a transmission s20 non lsd and i went ahead and installed a phantom grip (don't care if it wrecks this, just want to try)

Stupid me i didnt bench tested it and went ahead and install it. Gears 1 to 5 are great, shifting smoothly and no weird noises, the only problem is i cant shift it to reverse, slammed it, great amount of force didnt worked.

I removed it out of the car and disassembled it and inspected it, the reverse gear were installed correctly.
So here's the scenarios of what ive done so far

• when i remove the reverse gear, it shifted ok
  • when i installed the reverse gear and remove its holder, it shifted ok
  • also i moved the gear by hand without the holder, it slides up smoothly
  • but if i put it all even if i hammered it to reverse it moves up but it didnt want to come up
I didnt measure yet the clearances of the shift holder and etc.

What am i missing?

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
636 Posts
Split the case and try and engage reverse by hand using the shift rod? Put a screw driver or whatever through the bitch pin hole so you have leverage to rotate the shaft. You'll be able to see what hasn't been aligned correctly / binding or whatever.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,451 Posts
Won't be able to bench shift with the case apart.

I need pics though.

Likely the reverse idler is upside down. I've seen this done ONCE, it was the first transmission I watched being split and FD swapped. I split my first case that night.

From 1997 or so....where I learned to play with Honda transmissions....and have been for 23+ years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the pics

Here is the pic when i removed the gear and shifted it to reverse, no problem

Here is when i removed the holder and slide it up by hand, no problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope your reverse gear is upside down as I just put one together with it up the other way

1 - 5 of 5 Posts